Manager, Engineering, Android
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
About Nickelodeon Engineering
The Nickelodeon Engineering team is seeking talented engineers who are experts in delivering scalable, performance optimized solutions for our high-traffic, consumer-facing digital sites and apps. Creating for Nickelodeon is fundamentally about innovation. Your inspiration, imagination and willingness to take risks will ultimately result in your best work - and that’s what we want! We’re going to ask you to experiment, take risks, to have fun, to always make it feel fresh and to find the kid inside you.
You are an experienced engineering manager who wants to lead a team of Android developers. You are a creative problem solver, work well in a team environment, love to create great software, and want to always be learning. You believe in agility and getting things done that deliver business value. You are an expert in Android mobile development using Java, and have experience in multiple programming languages. You enjoy sharing knowledge, learning in multiple ways, and mentoring others.
The position is a hands-on manager level engineer who is an expert in Android development methodologies. You have experience leading engineering teams. You’ll be working as part of a fast paced, cross-functional, agile team building highly optimized native Android experiences for kids. With input from the business and guidance from the Director, the position is responsible for the technical design, development, and implementation of high-quality native mobile app products for high-traffic, consumer-facing nickelodeon digital apps. In addition to extensive experience delivering cross platform solutions, the ideal candidate for this role is a natural leader and has demonstrated a career of continued growth, expanding technical influence and responsibility.
• Manage a growing team of highly skilled Android developers. Mentor and guide team members, provide technical oversight and leadership necessary to accomplish work. Serve as a technical resource to those supervised.
• Promote a culture of accountability, openness, and continuous learning with the team.
• Be a technical representative who clearly communicates the path of the team to business partners.
• Review, execute, and maintain key technical decisions, standards, and policies.
• Maintain an awareness of best practices in the technology industry and implement as appropriate.
• Continually improves the technical procedures and processes for the team.
• Assists with the hiring process of the team and is a key voice on hiring decisions.
• Manages the technical roadmap that supports brands like Nick, Nick Jr. and Noggin.
• Responsible for the effective coordination and execution of the work by the team.
• Works with internal and external technical software partners to improve the efficiency of the team.
• Effectively communicate highly technical information to business partners and staff.
• Work closely with the team’s architect as a partner.
• Executes the Director’s and Architect’s vision and suggested principles with the engineering team.
• Responsible for analyzing tasks, providing accurate work estimates, and managing own time and development schedule.
• Work in a fast-paced team environment and adapt to the demands of all levels and types of production duties.
• Performance and security conscious.
• Ensure software development that is modular, scalable, well tested, stable and optimized.
• Responsible for analyzing tasks, providing accurate estimates, and managing own time to keep development on schedule.
• In conjunction with Director, work with technical and non-technical staff to translate business requirements into technical requirements for execution.
• Participate and give feedback in design and code reviews with other developers. Able to debate technical choices productively and without ego. Ensure standards and best practices.
• Be flexible and willing to learn both independently and with other team members.
• Bachelor's Degree (BA, BSc) and or Graduate level (MA, MSc, MFA) in Computer Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience.
• 5 years hands-on software development with Android with Java, and at least one other language (e.g. C, C , Python, Ruby, Scala, etc.).
• Prior experience managing an engineering team with focus on mobile development.
• Experienced in application development using modern Android development practices with a team of engineers to develop fast, stable, and reliable Android apps and components.
• Expert development skills include client-side technologies, design, architecture and writing of clean, reusable, extensible, standards-compliant code.
• Ability to manage, mentor and inspire software engineers to excel in their abilities and exceed goals of team.
• Have launched Android apps in Google Play and Amazon Appstore.
• Advanced experience in Java and its particular style when developing for Android.
• Experience in leveraging and properly using all major Android SDK constructs.
• Advanced knowledge of testing specifics of Android including unit, functional and UI testing.
• Applied knowledge working with testing frameworks like Robolectric and Espresso.
• Working experience with deducing problems using memory and rendering Android performance measuring tools.
• Know advanced ways to execute flexible app architecture using dependency injection.
• Leverage third party SDKs to enhance effort at solving the business needs.
• Understands a team that uses continuous integration with delivery from a build pipeline.
• Excellent team player that can work together with other talented developers.
• Reliable, completes tasks and thrives within a fast-paced environment.
• Expertise with Git, rebasing, branching strategies and pull requests.
• Proficient in object oriented programming, software development frameworks, and design patterns.
• Experience with build tools such as Gradle.
• Creative technical problem solving ability.
• Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban. Understanding of Scrum/XP/Agile principles.
• Clear and effective verbal, visual, and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail and correctness in code and communication.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of high functioning team as needed.
• Android transition and animation experience.
• Launching streaming video media related apps in Google Play and Amazon Appstore.
• Native mobile game development experience.
• Android TV, Fire TV, Google Cast, and Android Wear experience.
• Experience with DevOps, Continuous Integration and build tools.
• Ability to write just enough documentation.
• Prior experience with adaptive video streaming technologies, digital advertising platforms, and/or web analytics integration.