Lead Software Engineer, Catalog & Core Services
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Viacom is looking for a talented lead software engineer to drive development of cohesive solutions to content based technical challenges. The role will be end-to-end from understanding the goals and roadmaps of the product and other engineering teams, through the design and architecture of any solution and the delivery and maintenance of those platforms once in place.
This person will participate in the definition of product requirements being able to articulate how the engineering effort will align to those requirements and provide accurate estimates of the effort.
They will also be responsible leading a team of engineers through the development process, including enforcing standards around code, tooling, metrics, progress reporting and interactions with the QA team to ensure a quality first approach to any deliverables.
Making best use of the available infrastructure and systems as well as spotting gaps and providing solutions in way that complements the efforts of the other product and engineering teams. Building integrations where necessary while minimizing / separating dependencies, this person will have a solid understanding of enterprise architectures and best practice.
The successful applicant should have familiarity with content workflows, specifically the movement and transformation of large files, the broadcast and media industries and video, audio and captioning in order to be able to make informed decisions about the development architecture.
• Develop and maintain highly scalable, high performance, multithreaded, service-oriented software modules.
• Ensure that the engineering team correctly follow direction to deliver high quality, maintainable software.
• Design, develop, test, deploy new solutions as well as maintaining, integrating and improving existing solutions.
• Work with the product team to understand and deliver on their requirements
• Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
• Participate in preparing business cases, requirements documents and product roadmaps for new concepts.
• Be an authoritative source for content engineering, particularly in the areas of video, audio and captioning.
• Lead, attend, and participate in meetings and committees as required.
• 5 years engineering experience.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related subject.
• Experience following and implementing software design patterns.
• REST API design experience, use of message queues or other loosely coupled architectures.
• Experience in designing and supporting relational databases, and a strong understanding of SQL
• Experience with two or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Java, C#, Python or Ruby
• Some experience building and maintaining workflows, either bespoke or using tools such as BPMN or SWS
• Strong project management experience.
• Familiarity with designing for the cloud, particularly AWS.
• Good communication skills with ability to facilitate conversations with business stakeholders in project definition, business requirements definition and functional design sessions.
• Some exposure to content workflow based development, video and audio manipulation a bonus.