Full Time Job
Department: Litigation/Intellectual Property, Viacom Media Networks
Location: Hollywood, CA
Job Description: Litigator for Viacom Media Networks
Summary of Job
This position is a rare opportunity to become a member of the Viacom Law Department, one of the “Best Legal Departments” as recognized by Corporate Counsel Magazine in 2016. In this position, you will join a team of attorneys managing together with outside counsel Viacom’s litigations, responding to pre-litigation demands and claims, asserting Viacom’s rights through cease and desist demands to those infringing on Viacom’s vast portfolio of intellectual property, and providing advice to clients on litigation avoidance across the Viacom Media Networks suite of brands. Viacom is a company with a culture of collaboration, and the law department embraces that culture. This position will be the only litigation attorney situated in the Hollywood office from the IP/Lit team, which is headquartered in New York, so candidates must be willing to collaborate across coasts and work with a supervisor and colleagues in New York.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage litigations handled by outside counsel and under general supervision of Senior Vice-President, Litigation & Intellectual Property, including by providing strategic assessment, editing pleadings and briefs, coordinating with internal business teams, and reporting on status to internal executives;
• Supervise outside counsel in connection with litigations, including managing budgets, staffing, and case management;
• Handle pre-litigation matters including research and drafting responses to claim letters, responding to subpoenas, negotiating with adversaries, and providing advice to Viacom business clients on pre-litigation issues and litigation avoidance;
• Provide regular reports including in connection with litigation docket, budget reports, and data tracking;
• Assist in other disciplines within the department including litigation and intellectual property advice on transactions and trademark clearance.
• Litigation background including hands-on experience in adversary negotiations, drafting litigation documents, responding to subpoenas;
• Experience in IP litigations in particular;
• Highly organized, and able to manage a variety of issues and legal matters efficiently, including budgetary matters;
• Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate, both verbally and in writing, the legal positions of VMN and to effectively argue in support of those positions;
• A cooperative, team-oriented approach; and
• Excellent follow-through skills.
• Between 3 and 5 years practicing law in areas of Litigation, with a focus on Intellectual Property preferred.
• J.D. Degree, admitted in California is a must