VP, Compliance & Employment Law
Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
Universal Music Group is seeking an employment law and compliance attorney with experience advising on domestic (federal and state) legal issues and interacting with global executives. This is a dual employment and compliance role.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Global Compliance/SVP Employment Counsel and provide legal support to Human Resources and Executive Management. The ideal candidate will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced environment and will be an integral member of a team tasked with ensuring the company's commitment to compliance and business ethics and with providing guidance on employment law for the world’s music leader and innovator. For the right candidate, this is a great opportunity to work with the leading music company on a global basis.
• Provide day-to-day proactive compliance and employment law and law advice, assistance and counsel for a full range of employment and compliance issues
• Conduct global risk assessments
• Craft global and local compliance and employment policies
• Conduct investigations on a global basis related to potential violations of the company's code of conduct and employee relations issues
• Draft and negotiate employment, settlement and termination agreements
• Create, customize and update contracts
• Work collaboratively and responsively with a broad range of colleagues ensuring good relationships between legal, human resources and management of business units to facilitate a coordinated team approach
• Oversight and partnering with outside counsel on employment and compliance related matters
• Provide training to employees on a global basis
• Knowledge of strong international and/or domestic employment law skills
• Knowledge of anti-bribary and anti-trust laws preferredust possess the ability to balance acting autonomously and collaboratively in a fast paced environment
• Must be comfortable handling multiple projects and transactions in parallel
• Must possess exceptional negotiating, writing, speaking and analytical skills
• Must have the ability to develop relationships of trust and confidence
• Must demonstrate business sense, strong legal judgment, and a strong work ethic yet maintain a sense of humor
• A minimum of 10 years substantive compliance, employment and labor experience
• A combination of both in-house and law firm practice experience is desired
• Prior experience working at or with music/entertainment companies is desired
• Foreign language capability is desired
• Experience with international employment laws (in any region) is desired
• JD and excellent academic credentials required
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.