Universal Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Universal Music Classics seeks a Vice President of A&R working alongside the label president to re-establish the label as a vital and vibrant member of the Global Classics family at Universal Music Group.
• Talent Scout: Be tapped into existing networks and create new networks to discover the newest and most dynamic talent that can make this label visible, credible, commercial and respected.
• Music: Crucially, the successful candidate must have a confidence with the music that our audiences wish to listen to currently, or will wish to listen to. Know music from the core canon, know styles, traditions and predict (and create) the music of the future.
• Matching talent with music: Show the creativity to bring the right music at the right time to the right artist. Uncover, explore and exploit all traditions, eras and sensibilities
• Artist relationships: For the label to flourish with the right artists, they must feel at home, feel supported, challenged, nurtured, stretched and encouraged. The candidate must have an innate sense of talent and the artists that inhabit it. They
an innate sense of relationships and how to predict their unpredictable journey.
• Making music: From planning comes execution, and the successful candidate will have proven music-making skills. Drawing from a range of technical abilities including composition, arranging, improvising, mixing, producing, editing and engineering, the candidate must feel the studio is the home to bring the music to life and to the audience
• Getting to the deal: Working closely with the label President and Business Affairs, be savvy and creative in closing the deal with the artist. Be a skilled negotiator by knowing when to push and when to pull back.
• Advocate for your artists: A&R doesn't start with the scouting and stop with the final mix. Have a vision for where this music fits with the trajectory of the artist, and advocate the most creative path to the marketing and promotions teams. Stay ahead of techniques for engaging with an audience and deploy them appropriately and creatively.
• Predict the future: The 'lightening in a bottle' is knowing what audiences want from our music before they ever imagine it. Show that you can think beyond what is known now or seen know and paint a vision for what is possible.
• Comfortable in an environment where the world is changing fast and predictability is unpredictable.
• The person that an artist will call in the middle of the night
• Able to demonstrate a range of create projects that speak to the artists and music at the heart of the label
• Digitally savvy and digitally curious
• Constantly exploring and experimenting
• Willing to set aside their own personal preferences
• In complete alignment with the vision of the label president
• Hungry for success and restless to achieve it Experience
• Experience working directly with artists, composers, arrangers, managers and agents
• Experience in a studio, as a performer, producer, engineer
• Experience creating musical or artistic projects
• Experience understanding the needs of audiences and meeting those needs
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Disclaimer This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.