Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
Universal Strategic Marketing (USM) is responsible for UMG's Global catalog, Compilations, Audio-Visual and Licensing businesses for all our labels excluding Classical (with whom we also work closely).
As a dynamic, forward thinking team we ensure territories achieve optimum revenue opportunities by delivering releases and marketing support. At USM, we are expected to be innovators in our field(s), flexible in complementing and inputting into areas across our division and the wider business.
You'll be working with a world-class team who are passionate about what they do - and we expect no less from you. You should have an insatiable appetite for learning new things and improving existing ones. People who meet us tend to comment on our energy, and the passion we have for what we're doing. We hope it's infectious! At such a fast moving area you'll find opportunities rather than boundaries in every single role.
• Manage all aspects product development and marketing from concept to completion. This includes physical, digital, streaming, creating marketing tools, coordination of assets from repertoire teams, the execution and review of territory marketing plans and management of project time lines from assigned roster.
• Generate and distribute analytical project information to all relevant company working groups
• Create and implement innovative marketing approach to projects
• Formulate budgets with department heads and allocate appropriate costs
• Administer markets requests for tools and assets with appropriate repertoire centre
• Ensure all physical and digital deadlines are met
• Evaluate and forecast project opportunities for release
• Ensure creative output of content and repertoire in the form of new products that will generate meaningful revenues for worldwide territories
• Delivery of product flow to the strategic marketing schedules
• Recognising exploitation opportunities and creating products across all formats both physical, digital and streaming options within
our remit be they catalogue, compilations, audio-visual products
• Initiate, plan and co-ordinate all aspects of Marketing Campaigns for upcoming releases to designated artists and projects
• Manage acts assigned to the significant catalogue roster
• Delivery of the USM repertoire schedules
• Delivering timely release of repertoire owner schedules, taking relevant action on required dates to ensure completion of product / services for release date
• Devise clever and innovative marketing strategies
• Development of new product lines, taking ownership of new product development lines
• A strong and consistent delivery of digital products, tools and marketing
• Ability to create and co-ordinate all marketing materials, tools and information required and ensure distribution to relevant parties internally and at the opcos
• Produce and market new release catalogue with and on behalf of UMG and all subsidiary label affiliates. Working with, on behalf of, and assuming responsibilities of Global Marketing team for these specific releases.
• Recognising best practice opportunities from our local markets
• Liaise with designers on artwork creative and work closely with the creative department on photo, design etc
• Get visuals agreed and approved on a creative and practical level by artists and label
• Responsible for the creation and delivery of masters
• Liaise with Asset Exchange providing masters and artwork ready for production
• Deal effectively with all production supply chain queries to ensure no impact to release date
• Deal effectively with territory queries, reporting upwards for assistance when required.
• Ensure all department invoices are checked, authorised by relevant manager and processed utilising Uniport and other systems
• Co-ordinate artist's / project activities around record releases (press, tools, campaigns, advertising etc)
• Initiate, seek approval and execute creation of special packaging formats on appropriate projects
• Liaise very closely with the Commercial Affairs department regarding marketing campaigns to ensure widest possible exposure
• Develop creative vision for the long term future of your roster of artists
• Submit costed marketing plans for approval and manage campaign within agreed budgetary limits
• Ensure all information is accurately communicated to all departments regarding strategy, release plans, changes, developments etc.
• Work closely with the digital aspects of releases to ensure coverage across all digital platforms with account managers
• Agree budgets with line manager ahead of project initiation.
• Ensure budgets are set for projects with finance ahead of implementation.
• Passion for music
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• A team player with creative ideas and solutions
• Commercially focussed and highly motivated, disciplined and organised with excellent time management skills
• Desire and ability to drive projects – from inception to completion
• Flexible and capable of juggling responsibilities
• Comfortable working under pressure and with a fast moving and rapidly developing roster
• Good understanding of data analysis and insights to provide smart marketing opportunities and support decision making
• Experience of liaising effectively with labels, Managers and Artists
• Experience of working, influencing and persuading at all levels of an organisation (upwards and downwards)
• Knowledge of the international marketplace and how it is evolving
• Positive, proactive and pragmatic approach to any situation. Able to deal with problems as they may arise
• Good presentation skills
• Knowledgeable about current music trends and market trends
• Excellent computer skills
• Prepared to travel internationally as required
• Second language
• Experience of in-house IT applications (including budgeting & invoice approval systems, sales information systems etc)
• Marketing qualification Experience:
• Experience developing artist plans and strategies
• Good understanding of consumer insights & segmentation practices
• A good understanding of international music markets and local cultural differences
• Comfortable using data & analytics to inform key decisions
• Good understanding and knowledge of Universal's catalogue and repertoire
• Competency in one or more foreign languages
• Advanced skills in common software (e.g. MS Office / Keynote / Photoshop / etc.)
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.