Manager, Creative Services
Universal Music GroupBrentwood, CA
Full Time Job
Under The Capitol Music Group umbrella of UMG, Capitol Christian Music Group is the market leader in the field of recorded music, distribution, and music publishing. Employing over 150 people, Capitol CMG provides a challenging and rewarding work environment characterized by a commitment to our staff, our artists and songwriters, one another, our customers and community service.
This role exists to to serve Capitol CMG artists by establishing and supporting their visual campaign through photography and image development, album cover and packaging design, physical and digital asset creation, brand stewardship, and other artist initiatives as needed.
• Conceptualize and design album and single covers, packaging, marketing materials, promotional content, digital advertising, point-of-sale, retail signage, presentations, social media, lyric images, etc., to support an artist’s marketing and PR plan.
• Plan, coordinate, and manage artist photo shoots including assembling and hiring a creative team of photographers, wardrobe stylists, hair/makeups, and catering. Gather tears and develop creative direction. Create day-of schedule, call sheet, plan craft services, distribute directions, and communicate details in a timely manner.
• Partner with artists, management, marketing, and A&R teams on building consistent visual branding for each artist and record cycle.
• Partner with Marketing and A&R to research and develop a strategic branding concept for each artist’s campaign, including research for image, styling and location needs.
• Manage photo shoot budgets, invoicing, and contract negotiation.
• Drive all imaging review, retouching, and photo approval including final selection and distribution of lead PR images.
• Maintain the local creative server archive of images and creative assets, and keep internal and external teams informed on the most up-to-date approved PR imagery.
• Work with the marketing team to coordinate and/or produce any design assets needed to fulfil related
• Prepare files for print using Universal-supplied templates. Pre-flight and package files according to Universal’s standards. Load to Wam!Net for manufacturing, international distribution, and archiving.
• Facilitate transactions with freelance designers and artists associated with developing an artist’s brand.
• Research design trends within both digital and physical applications.
• Grow and foster a network of photographers, illustrators, designers, wardrobe stylists, and grooming specialists to expand the network of local and regional creatives.
• Complete special projects or other duties as assigned.
• Well-rounded knowledge of graphic design and photography practices
• Proven art-direction skills
• Experience in print design
• Experience in art directing and producing photo shoots from concept to completion
• Ability to effectively communicate branding strategy to both internal and external teams
• Ability to assemble, motivate, and lead creative teams effectively
• Ability to think creatively, conceptually, and strategically
• Ability to balance and maintain a budget
• Thorough and detail-oriented
• Excellent organization and time management, oral and written communication skills
• Initiative to carry out a range of projects with limited supervision
• Ability to handle multiple projects in a deadline-oriented environment
• Advanced knowledge of MAC OSX programs and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.)
• Photography skills are welcomed, but not required
• 3-5 years of relevant experience
• Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Art or Design, or work equivalent
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.