Director, Urban Marketing
Universal Music GroupHollywood, CA
Full Time Job
Capitol Music Group (CMG) is comprised of Capitol Records, Virgin Records, Motown Records, Blue Note Records, Astralwerks, Harvest Records, Capitol Christian Music Group, Priority Records, Atom Factory, and Deep Well Records, as well as Capitol Studios and CMG’s independent label services and distribution division, Caroline. Capitol Music Group is based in Hollywood, California in the iconic Capitol Records Tower.
Artists that record for CMG labels include: Ryan Adams, Erykah Badu, Banks, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Beck, Jon Bellion, BJ The Chicago Kid, Rosanne Cash, Neil Diamond, Disclosure, Empire of the Sun, Robert Glasper, Halsey, Don Henley, Hillsong United, Judah The Lion, Kem, Charles Lloyd, tobyMac, My Morning Jacket, Naughty Boy, NeYo, Norah Jones , Tori Kelly, Migos, Katy Perry, Gregory Porter, Rich Homie Quan, Ben Rector, Porter Robinson, Bob Seger, Troye Sivan, Chris Tomlin and TV On The Radio and Vintage Trouble. For the U.S.: 5 Seconds Of Summer, Bastille, Glass Animals, Emeli Sande’ and Sam Smith. Capitol Music Group is a division of Universal Music Group, which is a fully owned subsidiary of Vivendi.
This role will be working to ensure the strategic and efficient marketing, promotion and selling of Capitol’s Urban and Rhythmic artists’ releases globally. The key objective of the role is to correctly manage priority projects to maximize the sales and revenue opportunities alongside recognizing deeper repertoire opportunities across your assigned roster. Your role will center on maximizing release potential by providing support, tools and strategic marketing plans for projects to our international operating companies. You will ensure the implementation on a local level of those marketing strategies. In turn you will be the go to person for the international markets on your roster of key US acts helping with requests and queries allowing them to maximize their effectiveness in marketing our artists. You will track socials, sales, media activity, and other metrics involving the assigned artists and projects.
In addition, you will be responsible for the day to day relationship with artist’s management of our catalogs. It is essential you meet targets and are able to work across the wider department and business. Especially important are the management of big data on our artists and a good understanding of the relevance of using these metrics to inform our campaigns.
• Create and implement full release strategies on priority and key projects
• Attend planning and scheduling meetings as required
• Ensure the timely delivery of all tools (digital, video, photography, promotional materials)
• Review marketing plans from the international markets on priority releases and respond accordingly
• Coordinate & manage global catalogue marketing campaigns utilising editorial, social & d2c opportunities and being aware of new opportunities afforded by emerging technology
• Manage artists’ diaries and promotional activities on releases
• General problem solving for international affiliates for all aspects of releases entailing communication with Legal, Supply Chain, Digital, Sales, Licensing, etc.
• Forge strong working relationships with Artist Management, Marketing colleagues and A&R Departments across Capitol
• Ensure that budgets are adhered to on marketing campaigns
• Ensure all necessary shared documentation is kept up to date. This will include ensuring start memos and product notifications are completed for your releases and the USM release schedule is kept fully up to date
• Establish appropriate communication channels within the priorities team and the Company to ensure relevant information/knowledge is shared
• Maintain strong working relationships with Capitol departments and all territories
• Monitoring your projects and provide regular detailed written reports as determined by the SVP
• To work on own initiative but share information within the team
• Ability to forge excellent internal communication with team members and able to build excellent professional working relationships
• Team player with a flexible approach, willing to defer when appropriate
• Experience of working, influencing and persuading at all levels of an organisation (upwards and downwards)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Comfortable using data & insights to help inform decision making
• Knowledge of the international marketplace and how it is evolving
• Positive, proactive and pragmatic approach to any situation. Able to deal with problems as they may arise
• Ability to work on own initiative
• Good presentation skills
• Knowledgeable about current music trends and market trends
• Excellent computer skills
• Prepared to travel internationally as required
• Second language
• Experience of in-house IT applications (including budgeting & invoice approval systems, sales information systems etc.)
• 5 years record company marketing experience or relevant artist management experience at Marketing Manager level
• Experience of liaising effectively with labels, Managers and Artists
• Bachelor’s degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.