Digital Project Manager
Universal Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Project Manager has day-to-day responsibility for the smooth and effective running of their projects with a focus on great delivery. To do this they should have great skills in effective project set up, project tracking and reporting, risk and issue analysis and quality assurance. With this in mind, an understanding of the principles of Project Management, appropriate methodologies and processes is vital.
These are the main areas of focus for a Project Manager:
Managing and delivering projects
• Manage and deliver multiple work streams for various types of digital communications projects within an account (e.g. web- site development, mobile apps, banner advertising, email marketing campaigns, etc.) to agreed scope, timings, budget and quality
• Work with internal teams to help define project scope, resource requirements and cost estimates for projects
• Be the hub of communication for the project - in regular contact with internal and external partners engaged in delivering our product.
• Encourage and facilitate collaboration. Set up projects in Basecamp to give full visibility but allow the team to collaborate independently
• Work with client's third party agencies and UMG suppliers to jointly scope, manage and deliver campaigns when appropriate
• Use Basecamp to assign and track issues when appropriate
• Be on top of your projects and know timings, key milestones, budgets, resourcing, risks, etc.
• Understand the workings and needs of the account you are partnered with; have a good understanding of the artists and labels you work on - their definitions, their core characteristics, how they should and shouldn't behave
• Everything communicates – ensure that all documentation, costings, briefs, scopes and presentations are of the highest possible standard.
• Be positive and a force for good in the team – even when faced with difficult problems. Be solutions focussed.
• Remain calm and stable under pressure.
• Know when to delegate upwards and raise the alarm at the right time, to the right people when issues occur.
• Be prepared to muck in on areas outside of your immediate team. This means sharing resource, helping on other accounts, taking part in pitches or managing internal initiatives.
Building and safeguarding relationships
• Build a partnership relationship with your clients; good rapport here is key to success of both the delivery process and account development.
• Have great relationships with the internal project teams, so that people want to work with and for you.
• Be responsible for ensuring that relevant clients and account team members are kept up to date on project developments: changes in timings, costs and any issues arising. Communicate regularly and don't avoid difficult conversations.
• Ensure that internal and client sign-offs are obtained on all key project deliverables, and that you have an audit trail to protect yourself if things go wrong . Being passionate about music, advertising and marketing, specifically digital
• Make it your business to learn as much as possible: reading relevant blogs and articles, attending training sessions, talking to experts and taking an interest generally in what is going on around you.
• Be plugged in to new trends and developments across the industry and particularly within the music and digital marketing sector.
• Understand the different types of available and emerging media, particularly online, including constraints and opportunities presented by each.
Job Scope This role calls for an individual who can focus on the detail, being thoroughly ''buttoned-down'' and on top of all aspects of their projects, while being aware of the bigger picture.
The job will open opportunities for an individual interested in furthering their career Project Management.
• Strong in focusing on the detail and being thoroughly ''buttoned-down'', on top of all aspects of projects being managed while being aware of the bigger picture
• Excellent communications skills, with ability to interface with internal and external resources, and all levels of management
• Strong relationship building and curating partnerships with clients and team members
• Attention to detail and excellent follow-through a must
• Ability to be positive, problem-solve creatively, and remain calm and stable under pressure, while sharing qualities and same sentiments with team members
• Understand when it is necessary to delegate upwards and raise alarms at the right time to the right people as appropriate for the situation
• Ability to understand key technical aspects of the development process for website delivery, email delivery, online advertising, digital outdoor, etc., as appropriate to client(s)
• Basic understanding of difference types of available and merging media, particularly online, including constraints and
opportunities presented by each
• Ability to be an ongoing learner: reading relevant blogs and articles, attending training sessions, talking to experts
• Be plugged into new trends and developments across the industry, particularly within the music and digital marketing sector
• Degree or equivalent work experience
• 2-4 years of experience in digital development and project management are required
• Good understanding of web technologies such as HTML/HTML5, CSS, CMS, and mobile
• Experience in an agency environment
• Experience with the WordPress, Drupal.
• Familiarity with project management tools including Basecamp and JIRA
• Minimum 4 year college degree
• Additional technical degrees a plus
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Disclaimer This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.