Digital Content Manager
Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
Universal Strategic Marketing (USM) is responsible for the company’s global catalogue, compilations, audio-visual and licensing businesses for all our labels. A dynamic, forward-thinking team, we ensure that territories achieve optimum revenue opportunities and deliver support to markets on a global level. At USM you are expected to be an innovator in your field, flexible in complementing and inputting into areas across the division and the wider business.
You’ll be working with a world-class team who are passionate about what they do – and we expect no less from you. You should have an insatiable appetite for learning new things and improving existing ones. People who meet us tend to comment on our energy, and the passion we have for what we’re doing. In such a fast-moving area you’ll find opportunities rather than boundaries in every single role.
The Digital Content Manager is a newly created role to oversee and steer the visual content output and strategy across our artists, labels and UMG’s hugely successful music discovery and curation platform, uDiscovermusic.com. It needs a dynamic, enthusiastic individual who is passionate in what they do and who can help further develop the site in new directions.
You will produce regular content across our platform and social media channels from audiovisual content, interactive content and social content. You will also be commissioning out to agencies for long-form and/or more complex content, working with the various stakeholders and overseeing the approval and delivery of content from third-party agencies
In both instances, a strong understanding of visual storytelling is essential for the role. It will be crucial for you to be able to see a project through from initial conception through to delivery and publication.
You will be working across the USM team ensuring content output is scheduled and created in conjunction with marketing initiatives around key releases, events and anniversaries, and around uDiscover’s day-to-day activity – including social strategies and third-party distributors – to ensure the platform and its content is maintained to the highest level. Exploring new approaches, technologies and opportunities with the site developer will also factor into your responsibilities.
The role requires a strong understanding of industry best-practices, including content delivery standards and usability, plus music consumption and how best to connect consumers with music and content.
• Form a strategy and maintain a schedule for content output alongside the wider uDiscover and marketing teams
• Create audio-visual content in line with USM priorities
• Commission and oversee the production of larger-scale audio-visual from third parties
• Identify new opportunities for visual content to increase consumer engagement
• Use insights & analytics to inform effective content initiatives, marketing and commercial decisions
• Detailed analysis to understand current performance and future opportunities for our content
• Devise creative marketing strategies for the platform and its content
• Work with brand partner teams to develop new platform and brand opportunities
• Work closely with UMG account managers to leverage opportunities across our business partners
• To be a strong and effective advocate for the brand throughout the company, on a global level
• Ambassador to external parties (artists, management, brands) for the platform and the opportunities and value it will deliver.
• Learn and share best practices across USM teams
• A passion and knowledge for music across genres
• Video editing and basic animation skills
• Photoshop and graphic design skills
• Extensive knowledge of social, video and other online channels
• Extensive knowledge of audio and video formats, web hosting and CDNs
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Experience with WordPress CMS
• Writing/blogging experience
• Bachelor’s Degree required
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.