Curation & Repertoire Manager
Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
Universal Strategic Marketing (USM) is responsible for UMG’s international catalog, Compilations, Audio-Visual and Licensing businesses for all
our labels excluding Classical (with whom we also work closely).
As a dynamic, forward thinking team we ensure territories achieve optimum revenue opportunities by delivering releases and marketing
support. At USM, we are expected to be innovators in our field(s), flexible in complementing and inputting into areas across our division and
the wider business.
This is a role that requires strong communication skills across the various central and local teams at USM as well as other parts of the UMG
business, as well as a clear editorial vision and methodology.
You’ll be working with a world-class team who are passionate about what they do - and we expect no less from you. You should have an
insatiable appetite for learning new things and improving existing ones. People who meet us tend to comment on our energy, and the passion
we have for what we’re doing. We hope it’s infectious! At such a fast moving area you’ll find opportunities rather than boundaries in every
- Deliver the best consumer engagement and storytelling around our vast catalog content
- Implement an editorial view on current and upcoming projects and work with project managers to ensure a holistic roll-out across
online and social media
- Take a proactive role in uDiscover editorials, features, playlists, etc. and work with wider Curation team members in a co-ordinated
- Deliver additional playlists and online editorial content and strategy to support and enable wider non-priority release projects
initiated by USM
- Curate Universal’s physical / digital / streaming product portfolios
- Work closely with Curation counterpart in London
- Work closely across other areas of the Strategic Marketing teams, Label rights holders and other departments within UMG on a
- Strong and varied music knowledge
- Journalistic ability in creating written content to compliment music content
- Self-motivated yet ability to work within a team framework
- Creating playlists in support of artist brands + creating strong compilation branded playlists
- Identifying deep catalogue opportunities
- Very strong A&R, curation & sequencing expertise
- Essential that this role constantly looks at playlist updates
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to present to and inspire others
- Will need a level of analytical expertise to understand the complexities of playlist behaviours
- Passion for music
- Proven experience in any of more of the following: Music Journalism / Music Blogging / Strategic Marketing / Catalog A&R / Digital
Marketing at a major music company or similar media organisation (OpCo or international division)
- Deep understanding of streaming services, social media, digital marketing and online behavioural trends, as well as of the
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- A team player with creative ideas and solutions
- Highly motivated, disciplined and organised with excellent time management skills
- Desire and ability to drive projects – from inception to completion
Universal Music Group – Job Description 2
- Flexible and capable of juggling responsibilities
- Comfortable working under pressure and with a fast moving and rapidly developing roster
- Strong grasp of big data analysis to inform playlisting, curation, editorial, etc.
- Experience curating and developing brands / artist catalogs / etc.
- Good understanding of consumer insights & segmentation practices
- A good understanding of international music markets and local cultural differences
- Good understanding and knowledge of Universal’s catalog and repertoire
- Competency in one or more foreign languages
- Advanced skills in common software (e.g. MS Office / Keynote / Photoshop / etc.)
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.