Production Attorney - ''Crime Watch Daily''
Telepictures ProductionsBurbank, CA
Don't worry we have a lot of jobs on the site like this one;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Search for Production Attorney - ''Crime Watch Daily'' jobs in Burbank-CA
Search all Production Attorney - ''Crime Watch Daily'' postings
Full Time Job
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Provide day-to-day legal support for a 5-day per week nationally syndicated crime/news program. Work closely with producers, researchers and other series staff in connection with vetting stories, reporting and newsgathering, and other items in a time-sensitive manner. Extensive experience in and ability to advise in the areas of fair use, First Amendment laws, privacy laws, and defamation laws. Negotiate and draft contracts, licenses and other legal documents.
• Provide research, advice and assistance to the editorial staff and internal teams on all legal issues associated with the gathering, reporting and production of news stories and/or content for the series.
• Review and assess content to avoid claims such as fair use, breach-of-contract, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, and trespassing.
• Negotiate and draft various agreements including but not limited to appearance agreements, licensing deals, location agreements, and other agreements and amendments as required for production of the program.
• Advise on clearance matters, obtain minor's contract approvals and obtain work visas as needed.
• Evaluate and respond to in-bound legal claims. Anticipate and mitigate potential legal issues within the organization and develop strategies to reduce potential areas of risk.
• Conduct research projects related to past, current and potential future programming.
• Liaise with outside counsel and other legal divisions within Telepictures as appropriate.
• Perform other special projects and responsibilities as assigned.
• Minimum of 7 years prior legal and work experience performing related job duties for a news/crime program.
• Experience advising clients in fair use, defamation and privacy law and/or intellectual property law.
• Knowledge of generally accepted business practices.
• Extensive knowledge of First Amendment laws, IP infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, fair use within the context of news programming.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Effective negotiation and legal drafting skills required.
• Must be:
o Willing and able to work under strict time constraints and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
o Able to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
o A skilled problem solver and tactful when resolving problems.
o Able to maintain confidentiality, and successfully work independently.
o Able to multi-task and handle several projects simultaneously.
o Some travel required: 25%
o Proficient level PC and Mac and working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, & File Maker Pro.
• B.A. /B.S. degree in related field or equivalent experience required.
• J.D. from an ABA accredited law school required.
• California Bar membership highly preferred.