Festival Editor (Writing)
Sundance Film FestivalPark City, UT
Full Time Job
Dates Worked: 11/1/2017-1/12/2018
Considerations: This position works full-time from our Park City, Utah, office. The role is required to work extended hours (evenings, weekends, and some holidays) during key points and must be willing and available to respond to on-call needs as assigned. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit a cover letter.
Position Summary: Edits, fact-checks, and proofreads print and digital publications for the Sundance Film Festival.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works under the direction of the associate editing manager to edit, fact-check, and proofread two Festival program guides (print and digital), the Festival catalog, the press and industry guide, and additional print publications.
• Enforces in-house style (based on The Chicago Manual of Style).
• Collaborates with writers, reviews the work of other editors, and helps resolve conflicting opinions to make editorial decisions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Legal authorization to work in the United States.
• 1 year of editing experience.
• Strong knowledge of writing, grammar, usage, spelling, and The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th or 17th edition. (Qualified candidates will be invited to take an editing test.).
• Outstanding communication skills to work effectively with a wide variety of people, including the ability to negotiate editorial decisions in a tactful manner and respond gracefully to suggestions, corrections, and feedback from both supervisor and peers.
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to self-manage schedule, multitask, work efficiently and thoroughly, and make decisions in a timely manner to meet very tight deadlines.
• Working knowledge of databases along with proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Word's Track Changes feature) and Google Drive (especially Google Docs' Suggesting mode).
• Ability to work nights and weekends around key deadlines and events.
, Experience, and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, creative writing, or related field preferred.
• Previous coursework in copyediting strongly preferred.
• Some familiarity with AP style preferred.
• Knowledge of InDesign, typesetting, and HTML, as well as advanced Excel skills, preferred.