Festival Associate Manager, Editing (Writing)
Sundance Film FestivalPark City, UT
Full Time Job
Dates Worked: 10/25/2017-1/30/2018
Considerations: This position works full-time from our Park City, Utah, office. The role is required to work extended hours (evenings, weekends, and some holidays) during key points and must be willing and available to respond to on-call needs as assigned. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit a cover letter.
Position Summary: Manages the editorial integrity of various print and digital publications for the Sundance Film Festival, including training and overseeing the editing team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversees a team of three editors in editing, fact-checking, and proofreading two Festival program guides (print and digital), the Festival catalog, the press and industry guide, and additional print publications.
• Trains editors on in-house style (based on The Chicago Manual of Style), makes on-the-spot style decisions, and assists in updating style guide as needed.
• Supervises editors, assigns tasks, manages workloads, and tracks individual and team deadlines.
• Reviews and approves edits of others, including resolving conflicting opinions among editors or between editors and writers, and provides immediate, direct feedback to editors.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Legal authorization to work in the United States.
• 3 years of editing experience.
• Advanced knowledge of writing, grammar, usage, spelling, and The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th or 17th edition'including the ability to train others. (Qualified candidates will be invited to take an editing test.)
• Strong leadership skills with demonstrated excellence in managing employees.
• Outstanding communication skills to work effectively with a wide variety of people, including the ability to negotiate editorial decisions in a tactful manner, resolve conflicts, and respond gracefully to suggestions, corrections, and feedback from both writers and supervisees.
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage schedule of self and others, multitask, work efficiently and thoroughly, make decisions in a timely manner, and delegate effectively to meet very tight deadlines.
• Working knowledge of databases along with proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Word's Track Changes feature) and Google Drive (especially Google Docs' Suggesting mode).
• Ability to work nights and weekends around key deadlines and events.
, Experience, and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, creative writing, or related field preferred.
• Previous coursework in copyediting strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of InDesign, typesetting, and HTML, as well as advanced Excel skills, preferred.
• Some familiarity with AP style preferred.
• Experience facilitating trainings for groups preferred.