Director, Business Intelligence
Sony MusicMiami, FL
Full Time Job
The US Latin Division of Sony Music seeks an accomplished Business Intelligence Director with proven experience providing enterprise-wide leadership and strategic vision for a Business Intelligence function and department – ideally in context of the US and/or international music industry. S/he will be directly responsible for transforming data and trends into strategic recommendations, monetizable insights and actionable plans.
Reporting to the SVP of Growth & Innovation, the Director of Business Intelligence and his or her direct reports will provide planning, analytical, decision, and related systems support to such critical stakeholders as artists, artist management, internal business units and executive leadership, as well as external accounts, brands and partners in order to ensure achievement of organizational objectives. The ideal candidate will have acquired his or her BI expertise in context of the Sales and Marketing function with focus on developing consumer insights and delivering market share, revenue and profitability growth.
• Spearhead review, refinement and enhancement of the department’s service offerings, deliverables, and related production capabilities (speed, volume / capacity, quality / accuracy) in order to establish the label’s BI function as an organization-wide and music industry best-in-class.
• Develop outcome-oriented consumer and data-driven strategies for artists, products, and partners.
• In concert with SVP, Growth & Innovation and other executive team members, establish and regularly report / provide expert guidance on critical macro and micro-level business KPIs.
• Go beyond the data to identify and clearly communicate issues and opportunities as well as develop actionable recommendations that ensure achievement of organization’s stated objectives.
• Manage and enhance overall BI operation, team of direct reports (currently 2), vendors and partners by leveraging continuous improvement as well as regional and corporate BI capabilities.
• Oversee selection, configuration, deployment, and long-term management of solutions as required to support insights, analytics, forecasting, workflow and process management.
Research and Planning
• Research and Planning deliverables include the “Deep Dive” Comprehensive Artist Assessment and GTM Plan, Artist Attributes Analysis, Market Segmentation Analysis, and Campaign Strategic Plans.
• Work with the Research, Reporting and Analytics team to define, refine, communicate, and capitalize on music consumer segments and related brand matches.
Social Media Insights
• Produce high quality social media deliverables such as Social Audits, Single Selection Analysis, Video/Track Analysis, Social Campaign Analysis, Digital Day Analysis, and Social Media Management.
• Analyze and report on social chatter, sentiment, reach, engagement and audience growth as related to artists and their content. Establish and enforce use of essential social metrics / KPIs: applause rates, amplification rates, conversion rates, economic value of designated social activities, etc.
• Provide guidance throughout the artist career cycle from talent identification and market potential (A&R), to audience growth (marketing), to monetization (sales and business development).
Sales / Consumption Analysis and Acceleration
• In context of Sales / Consumption Analysis and Acceleration, provide Chart Projection Analysis, Artist Top Markets Analysis, Single Selection Analysis, Sales Lift Analysis, Campaign Analysis, ROI Analysis.
• Provide proactive decision support and guidance to executive and business unit / account leadership in support of revenue and profitability acceleration and maximization for each artist, project, and product.
• Institute program of accountability by identifying, on the fly and through after-the-fact reviews, those performance shortcomings associated with failing to act upon insights and recommendations provided.
Forecasting and Benchmarking
• Leverage forecasting, benchmarking, and predictive modeling best practices and solutions to effectively navigate environmental conditions and deliver desired outcomes.
• Ensure data quality / integrity in order to deliver reliable forecasts and provide accurate guidance.
• 5 years’ recent experience as a business intelligence or analytics manager or director with a focus on sales and marketing performance; preferably with a major US or international music label.
• 2 years’ recent experience managing a centralized BI service center and team of direct reports that is responsible for producing on behalf of multiple business units and stakeholders, concurrently.
• 2 years’ experience hiring, supervising, and developing staff.
• Must be skilled in the operation of variety of software programs, analytical solutions and productivity tools including Tableau, Next Big Sound, Nielsen, comScore, Crimson Hexagon, BuzzAngle, Spotify for Artists (Insights), Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, ProcessMaker, Workfront, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
• Fluency in English is required. Spanish is a major plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Analysis, Marketing / Market Research, Engineering or related discipline from an accredited university is required. Master’s degree (MS/MBA) preferred.
• Must have extensive experience with analytical methodologies, strategic planning, market research, financial analysis, sales / revenue performance optimization, data mining, and systems integration.
• Prefer noteworthy experience with consumer insights and analysis, market research / segmentation, predictive / analytical modeling, performance reporting / KPI scorecards, pricing analysis, data-driven strategies in support of market, product and artist brand development.
• Must be proficient at clearly and concisely communicating complex concepts, key findings, and go-forward recommendations to both sophisticated and non-sophisticated stakeholders.
• Must have a proven track record of prioritizing tasks, providing BI services and producing analytical deliverables in a high volume, high speed environment (multiple concurrent requests across artists, projects and business units) and doing so at a consistently high level in terms of timeliness and quality.
• Must have experience successfully managing multiple projects concurrently while providing direction to and overseeing the activities of team members, partners or other internal / external resources.
• Must be an independent worker and self-starter with outstanding analytical, communications, team leadership, project management, and organizational skills.