Linux Operations Engineer
Scripps Networks InteractiveKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
Scripps Networks Interactive, the leader in lifestyle media with top brands such as HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Linux Operations Engineer in Knoxville.
Not familiar with Knoxville?
Many people know Knoxville as the heart of Vol Country, but it's also been named Top 100 Best Places to Live, Forbes' Best Places for Careers, Forbes' Most Affordable Cities, Huffington Post's Top 10 Places to Relocate to in the US and more.
What you will be doing:
This position is on the Application Engineering and Automation team, part the Cloud and Infrastructure Services department. We are responsible for the delivery and automation of enterprise applications and custom solutions. Most of these will be in the cloud, particularly Amazon Web Services, but many will be in our on-premise data center. We solve a wide variety of problems, and have an emphasis on learning new and emerging technologies while providing the best dependable solutions to our internal customers.
Your role includes participating in the design, configuration, development, integration, testing, implementation, documentation, automation, and escalated support of enterprise and cloud applications in physical, virtual, and cloud environments. You should understand general computing principles and how those are specifically implemented in a variety of platforms and applications. You should be experienced in maintaining Linux systems, and familiar with current cloud and DevOps practices. You should have experience with scripting, automating routine tasks, and tool development.
You should have excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent problem solving skills, and be self-directed and able to learn new skills with minimal supervision. You should work well in a team, have a conscientious and engaged attitude, mature organizational and time management skills, and a strong ability to define, verbalize, and train with other team members on skills and troubleshooting strategies.
• Design, implement, document, and handle all aspects of Linux servers and related applications
• Document support procedures and train others on related procedures
• Deploy and support applications in Amazon Web Services or SaaS providers
• Maintain software and configurations using git
• Identify repetitive, manual tasks and automate them
• Establish repeatable, testable configuration of systems using Chef
• Use and develop tools such as scripts, AWS CloudFormation templates, and vRealize Automation blueprints to deploy sophisticated applications in an automated, repeatable manner
• Diagnose issues with java applications running in Tomcat or JBoss
• Assist periodically in after-hours deployments.
• Be available periodically for 24 hour on-call shifts
What you need to have:
• Significant Linux expertise, particularly RHEL or Fedora-based distributions
• Significant scripting or development experience
• AWS knowledge and experience desired
It's a plus if you have:
• Deep understanding of related technologies such as networking and firewalls, storage, server hardware, and DNS.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
• Minimum 4 years business/industry work experience
• Linux and related applications such as Apache, Tomcat, LDAP, WordPress, and NGINX
• Configuration management systems such as Puppet, Chef, Anisble, or Salt
• DevOps techniques and related utilities such as Continuous Integration, Git, Jenkins, and scripting against REST APIs
• Docker and container-related technologies such as Kubernetes
• Experience with Azure and/or other cloud technologies
• VMWare vSphere, vRealize Orchestration and vRealize Automation
• Windows server experience and related technologies
• Familiarity with java applications and/or development
• Adobe Experience Manager (CQ 5.x or AEM 6.x) CMS experience
• Experience working in a team process such as Agile or Scrum