Intern - Basketball Analytics
Sacramento KingsSacramento, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
The Sacramento Kings seek a Basketball Analytics Intern who will contribute to the development of cutting-edge basketball analytics systems. The Basketball Analytics Intern will assist the Kings analytics group through the analysis and research of basketball information. The specific day-to-day responsibilities of this position will vary depending on the basketball calendar, but it requires a general knowledge of how to use objective data to answer basketball-related questions, with a strong preference for a candidate possessing an established foundation of statistical and database management skills. The position will require collaboration with the entire analytics group, including the VP of Strategy and Analytics.
Start Date: January 2018 - April 2018
Duration: 4 months/ Full-Time
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large datasets in order to assist in the decision-making of the Basketball Operations department.
- Improve existing analytics resources and create new databases, models, and reports.
- Perform ad-hoc research projects as requested and present those results in a concise, straightforward manner.
- Provide administrative support and complete general intern duties as required.
- Current enrolledment in, or within 4 months graduation from, an undergraduate or graduate degree program in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or related field required.
- Familiarity with current state of freely available basketball research required.
- Knowledge of and experience working with basketball data strongly preferred.
- Experience with R statistical software package required.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL strongly preferred.
- Experience with at least one scripting language (i.e. Python) a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently and under tight deadlines, and relate to and communicate effectively with people of varied backgrounds (programmers, analysts, outside data vendors, other front office members) required.
- Knowledge of basketball analytics, and the NBA more broadly, is a plus.
- Ability to work evening, weekend and holiday hours (as dictated by the basketball calendar) required.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in this position?
2. Are you currently enrolled in a college or university or a recent graduate (within 6 months)?
3. Are you a local resident or able to relocate to Sacramento?