SAG-AFTRANew York, NY
Full Time Job
POSITION PURPOSE: The Director, Organizing develops and manages organizing campaigns in accordance with SAG-AFTRA's strategic organizing goals. Working with the National Director, Organizing, the Director will help manage the Organizing department, supervise and develop department staff, build its relationships with other SAG-AFTRA departments, and develop new strategies for organizing in the media and entertainment industries.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Assists the National Director, senior staff and elected leadership to develop and implement the SAG-AFTRA's strategic organizing plans.
• Draws upon research, staff knowledge, and member and industry relationships to identify organizing targets.
• Develops innovative strategies and tactics for new organizing campaigns.
• Implements internal and external organizing campaigns in close coordination with other SAG-AFTRA departments.
• Forms strategic relationships with key individuals and organizations in the media and entertainment industries.
• Conducts outreach to potential employers.
• Supports appropriate committee(s) as directed to develop and facilitate organizing efforts.
• Manages and supervises staff and member volunteers.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills. Able to communicate effectively in English.
• Must be a self-starter and team player.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work under pressure in a very high-paced environment.
• Ability to prioritize, organize and coordinate multiple tasks under changing deadlines.
• Ability to expedite heavy workload efficiently.
• Must be detail oriented.
• Must be proficient in PC applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor in a high stress environment, where constructive feedback is encouraged.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Must possess strong familiarity with basic labor law as it relates to organizing.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Experience or familiarity with strategic industry research methods.
• Knowledge of SAG-AFTRA contracts a plus.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA's sole discretion.
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours per day or per week (and/or overtime for applicable non- exempt positions), including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• Undergraduate degree in Labor Studies or related field and a minimum of 5 years of relevant external organizing experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in traditional and non-traditional organizing, strategy, and tactics.
• At least 2 years in a staff leadership role with experience in development and implementation of strategic organizing campaigns.
• Experience managing employees and volunteers.
• Knowledge of entertainment industry preferred.
• Spanish language skills a plus.
Certificates, licenses, and/or registrations: