SAG-AFTRANew York, NY
Full Time Job
Business Representative (Theatrical Contracts)
POSITION PURPOSE: The Business Representative provides excellent member service through advocacy, contract interpretation, and enforcement of the Theatrical contract, as well as resolving claims for performers under SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Disseminate accurate contract rulings and interpretations of theatrical agreements for principal and background performers.
• File claims and resolve contract disputes – includes mediation with production managers, producers, attorneys as well as arbitration preparation and testimony.
• Sign companies/films to the collective bargaining agreement. (Includes obtaining the appropriate security interest and verifying the chain-of-title).
• Administer special agreements, e.g. Dubbing, all Low Budget contracts.
• Participate in collective bargaining process.
• Organize non-signatory producers.
• Handle contract waiver requests, as well as processing Taft-Hartley waivers.
• Additional duties as assigned by the director and manager.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Experience with administration of collective bargaining agreements.
• Must be able to handle confrontational, volatile and stressful situations in a calm manner with patience, diplomacy and tact (combined with an intrepid approach to the work).
• Excellent listening skills.
• Ability to communicate persuasively and effectively with performers and production personnel.
• Must have high level of initiative to handle work which is largely unsupervised.
• Ability to work in a very high paced environment.
• Ability to be a role model
• Able to work under pressure
• Able to organize and coordinate multiple tasks under daily deadlines.
• Able to prioritize tasks.
• Ability to expedite heavy workload efficiently.
• Detail oriented.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in order to effectively articulate complex contract issues and compose original correspondence and reports.
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
• Demonstrated interpretative and analytic ability.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Dedication to workers' rights and social justice.
• Must be able to work in a challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA's sole discretion.
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours per day or per week (and/or overtime for applicable non- exempt positions), including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
*The Employer reserves the right to add, delete or change tasks and responsibilities within each job description. Further, in order to maintain efficient operations, work assignments may be redistributed on a short and long-term basis.
• Undergraduate degree or a combination of 5 years of education and experience in a labor relations or entertainment environment preferred.
• Juris Doctor degree a plus, but not required.
• Background in contract interpretation and enforcement a plus.
Certification, licenses, and /or registrations: