Senior Designer, Books
RodaleNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Rodale Inc. is currently seeking a Senior Designer with experience in book covers and interiors, to join a deparment of thriving and talented designers. Working in support of the Executive Art Director and independently, the ideal candiate should be able to design for variety of book topics and formats in a myriad of styles, as well as create marketing and collateral materials. The position is based in New York, NY.
• Support and execute the design of both 4/c and b&w books.
• Design sample pages and compose style sheets for layout production.
• Manage the visual design and production from inception to finish.
• Design and manage the production of marketing collateral materials.
• Manage process, budget and freelance support for assigned projects: manage budgets for individual projects.
• Minimal travel required for photoshoots or press okays.
Ideal candidate will possess:
• BFA in Graphic Design
• 5 years experience in adult book design and layout, both covers and interiors.
• Must have a portfolio to show ability to apply excellent design skills.
• Strong visual skills including color sense, eye for typography and image selection or creation.
• Understanding and interest of our markets (health, fitness, cooking, and our new kids imprint) and medium.
• Strong organizational skills; flawless attention to detail; budgetary responsibility.
• Ability to take direction and apply own creative skills and talent toward successful execution.
• Experience or desire to art direct and plan photoshoots. Strong interest in photography.
• Expert in industry-standard graphic software: Adobe CS suite, including InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator.
• Familiar with graphics for the web and some abitity in Flash–or other digital animation software is a plus.
• Knowledge of pre-press production, photo management, retouching, color correction, and soft proofing.