Media Relations Assistant / Spanish-Language Translator
New York MetsFlushing, NY
Full Time Job
Department: Media Relations
Supervisor: Vice President, Media Relations
Location: Citi Field; Flushing, NY
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Must be fluent in Spanish.
• During the season, work with the Media Relations department to prepare for each game, including game notes, statistical research, press box operations, etc.
• Work to ensure the timely distribution of key baseball information, publications, including the team’s media guide, season summary and baseball related press releases and daily game notes.
• Promote Mets Spanish-speaking players to the international, national and local media. Work with the department to fulfill media requests and follow through on fulfillment of interviews, appearances, etc.
• Assist with translating for the media, both pregame and postgame, for all Mets Spanish-speaking players.
• Participate in all aspects of Communications—focus on assisting with Latino player needs for Spanish themed corporate and marketing-driven player appearances, including autograph signings, meet-and-greets, brand marketing initiatives and player focused ballpark elements.
• Provide counsel to Mets Latino players related to the media and public relations opportunities.
• The responsibility will require candidate to travel to spring training each spring, travel to any road games as needed and also be available at all home games during the season. Postseason as needed.
• Assist in creating social media content for the New York Mets (Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
• Work with Media Relations department on translating all Mets business, community initiatives and media relations opportunities.
• Translate radio scripts for the Marketing department.
• Assist in approval Spanish translations for Marketing team email blasts.
• Work in conjunction with Media Relations staff on special projects when assigned. Translate memos, letters and reports from English to Spanish when needed.
• Work with the Communications department with offseason Community Events and Awards banquets.
• Assist Media Relations department with administrative duties, arranging travel, media parking, media credentialing.
• Special projects as assigned.
• College degree, preferably with a major in Communications, Journalism or Sports Administration.
• 1-2 years of Baseball Information/Media Relations experience with a professional sports team.
• Spanish fluency is required.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish.
• Strong familiarity with various dialects of the Spanish language.
• Working knowledge of baseball and related statistics.
• Proficient with digital and social media.
• Experience developing social media content and strategies.
• Ability to work long hours including nights, holidays and weekends and travel both domestically and internationally.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Are you fluent in Spanish and English (written & oral)?
2. Do you have an Undergraduate Degree?
3. What are your salary expectations for this position (range)?