Music Licensing Contract Specialist
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Our international efforts have brought Netflix around the globe to virtually all countries and we're excited to bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers around the globe.
Netflix seeks an experienced Music Licensing Contract Specialist to help support our expanding slate of Originals content. This role will work closely with our Music Licensing Managers and our Music Contract Administrator and will have broad responsibility for reviewing, drafting and negotiating a high volume of contracts for the Music Group.
In this unique and exciting role, you will be the Music Group's first Music Licensing Contract Specialist. This is not your traditional licensing contract role: in this role you will manage vital components of our music license review and negotiation process and will have visibility into all facets of our music business from a studio perspective, a ''network'' perspective and even from a music publisher perspective. As this is a new role, you will have the opportunity to shape Netflix's music licensing process. If this sounds intriguing, read on for the details...
As a seasoned Music Licensing Contract Specialist, you love music and everything about the music process for film and series. You know the ins and outs of the music industry and music licensing, and its unique language is second nature to you. You know exactly what it takes to use music in a production and you understand the significance of master use, synchronization and public performance licenses and the essential rights that must be covered in those deals. You know everyone in the industry: the record companies, the publishers, the indies, music supervisors and music libraries. You're not fazed by reviewing 5 separate synchronization licenses for a single musical composition or 2 separate master use licenses for a split territory deal, and you even know exactly who to call to expedite negotiations. You are the first to caution against taking a ''fill in the blank'' or ''cut and paste'' approach to music license review and negotiations; in fact, you understand that there is much nuance to public performance, waiver of injunctive relief and other key clauses and your thorough understanding of the underlying concepts allows you to deftly negotiate with all licensors, domestic or international.
Your organizational skills are unparalleled and in your view, there's no contract detail that's too small or insignificant. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organization talents mean that you're not intimidated by a high volume of contracts and, in fact, you seek a role that provides an opportunity to learn more about the business and tackle special projects as needed. This is the role you've been looking for.
The successful candidate will be one who loves working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates (http://www.slideshare.net/reed2001/culture-1798664), and one who seeks an environment that places thoughtful efficiency over process yet knows how to work with organizations or institutions who may not hold the same beliefs.
This role is based in Netflix's Los Angeles office and reports to the Manager, Music Licensing of the Music Group, part of the Business & Legal Affairs team at Netflix. The Music Group is based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally.
• Drafting, reviewing, redlining and negotiating music licenses for the use of music in Netflix's content, including master use and synchronization licenses. This includes establishing, negotiating and administering music license boilerplate forms with all licensors.
• Drafting, reviewing, redlining and negotiating music licenses for the licensing out of Netflix's music repertoire and tracking the same
• Creating, maintaining and updating various document management and rights management trackers
• Maintaining and managing music licensing forms and boilerplates
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's music needs
• The successful candidate will have a BA/BS degree and 5-10 years of music license review and negotiation experience, preferably in the music department at a film/television studio, television network or production company
• Unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail
• Clear, concise communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment
• Highly collaborative with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas
• Ability to pivot quickly and be resourceful, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed and tackle matters outside area of expertise
• Tech-savvy individual proficient in Gmail and Google Docs with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment