Manager, Physical Production, Comedy
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
We are seeking an experienced Production Manager to help manage both internal and third party co-productions from a originals production perspective with multi-cam and look-live programming. Responsibilities include establishing and curating vendor & staff/crew relations, reviewing budgets and supporting/suggesting best practices from pre production through delivery. This position will report in to the Director of Physical Production in Hollywood. Together, this team is responsible for supervising all aspects of production with our global original multi-cam comedy and variety specials.
Fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to have over 104 million streaming members worldwide. With continued international expansion and a move into original film acquisition and production underway, it's a great time to join Netflix.
A successful candidate will be self-motivated, proactive, quick-thinking, flexible, able to pivot when necessary, thorough and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization and an unwavering attention to detail at all times. This is a demanding and fast moving position that requires someone who is a proactive and positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and initiative while dealing with a high volume slate.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Pre Production/Setup of Show
• Work with Finance, Legal, Creative, Studio Technology, Post & external production teams on establishing key production schedules and workflows and maximizing budget to spend as much on screen as possible.
• Work with Showrunners, EICs and Line Producers to prepare and vet show budgets and schedules, providing feedback internally and externally on viability and risks.
• Review creative/scripts & begin defining post budget and VFX scope
• Collaborate with internal and external teams to lock budget
• Track & manage all related costs, keeping stakeholders apprised of status
• Update cost reports and trackers on a weekly basis
• Help ensure that productions run smoothly, remain safe, meet deadlines and stay within budget.
• Create/Help inform and draft overall production schedule
• Collaborate with internal teams and external production team to lock schedule.
• Troubleshoot and communicate all changes to schedule to internal and external teams
• Lead or assist with search and hire of key production staff
• Determine key vendors to accommodate creative vision and relationships, tax incentives, budget needs, location issues.
• Help maintain/curate preferred vendor list
On Site Coverage
• Ability to attend filming as Netflix representative ensuring that all production guidelines are being met.
• BA/BS Degree
• 8 Years experience with long form production executive management both in the field and on a network level for multi-cam specials and variety programming. Candidates will likely be at the Sr. Director, VP level or equivalent outside of Netflix.
• Ability to handle a fast paced environment simultaneously supervising several projects in various points of production (from development through delivery)
• Familiar with the current trends and workflows for both HD and 4K, single cam and multi-cam events
• Access to long roster of high quality vendors, locations, facilities and crew talent worldwide
• Ability to respond after hours for important, timely or urgent matters
• Team-player who operates in a fast paced team-oriented setting
• Ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information
• Understanding of how to prioritize and respond accordingly
• Willingness to continue learning to ensure understanding of current production process and gear
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to multi-task
• Proficiency in Movie Magic Budgeting, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides and Google Mail and management level knowledge of post workflows and systems.
• Strong working knowledge of budgeting including market rates on labor, gear and facilities
• Must be familiar with guild and union guidelines and rate cards
• Strong knowledge in multi-cam (facility, mobile unit or flypack) operations
Netflix offers an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, stock options, 401K (with match), comprehensive benefits and relocation.