Engineer, Projection & Exhibition - Studio Technologies
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, a lot of it original content: features, shorts, series, documentaries, comedy specials and unscripted content. Optimizing content quality and longevity without compromising efficiency across all types of projects presents significant challenges, but that's what the Studio Technologies team does by setting technical requirements and best practices, driving new industry standards, consulting on the studio's technical infrastructure, providing direct support to Netflix Original Productions and staying up-to-date with the most advanced developments in professional and consumer technology. Our engineers are subject matter experts who offer varied yet overlapping backgrounds in motion picture production, post-production and distribution - image science, editorial, color correction, image capture, encoding, compression, storage, video, audio... Every day, we collaborate with the crews as well as our internal production, post-production, distribution, marketing, facilities and development teams.
As Netflix creates more and more programming around the world leveraging new video and audio production technology, the studio's screening needs are rapidly expanding and evolving as well.
As part of the Studio Technologies group, you will:
• Design the screening facilities (theatrical and ''home'') for all Netflix offices production spaces worldwide, creating world-class, reference exhibition spaces.
• Outline the maintenance program for these facilities.
• Create a simple, efficient and high-quality audience experience; watching something at Netflix should be as simple and familiar as watching something on Netflix.
• Engage internal and external parties (vendors, contractors) to implement the above.
• Outline and enforce the requirements and expectations for external exhibition experiences (PR, premieres, production/post).
• Create a network of vetted local vendors and specialists to support Netflix worldwide screening needs through evaluation and engagement.
• Devise strategy to scale the technical support of a rapidly growing volume of screenings.
• Support the integration of playback and production platforms into Netflix facilities for special screenings.
• Evaluate new exhibition technology for production and exhibition.
• Support high-profile screenings at the studio and exceptional external screenings in the field.
• Design screening and review solutions for Netflix productions.
• Support productions and strategic initiatives beyond exhibition technology, as qualified (for example: camera, post-production, HDR, audio production).
• 8 years of experience in motion picture exhibition, interacting with creatives and operators, managing maintenance and upgrades
• Understanding of all forms of professional display formats, technology, best practices, maintenance
• Knowledge of industry standards for picture and sound presentation
• Experience managing the receipt, storage and return of screening assets
• Experience with integration and basic operation of production playback devices (color-correctors, VFX review systems, NLEs) into screening rooms
• Relationships with exhibition technology solutions, equipment, integration and service vendors
• Knowledge of video and audio routing
• A strong grasp of content security practices and challenges as they relate to screening assets.
• Knowledge of A/V distribution formats and consumer technology
• The communication skills to clearly articulate and document technical processes
• A passion for sound and the moving image.
You have a deep understanding of professional exhibition and playback technology and best practices that cultivate quality, security, efficiency of content presentation, whether projected or ''on glass''. You care deeply about creating a screening experience that preserves creative intent and maximizes impact. You can work with creatives, fine-tuning the picture and sound reproduction to meet their sometimes exacting expectations.