Senior Manager, Foreign Rights
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
National Geographic Partners is seeking sales motivated Foreign Rights Books Account Manager for the International Licensing & Alliances Department, to grow foreign rights revenue of our books publishing list.
The candidate will be responsible for selling globally, independently devising sales strategies and tactics, identifying sales opportunities from an expansive content list and meeting revenue targets. Candidate will need to be highly organized, adaptable, and self-sufficient and be able to manage a varied workload in a competitive environment; pro-active, smart and positive approach to problem solving and closing sales is essential, as are excellent communication and strong entrepreneurial skills. The candidate will also be responsible to supporting International Books Director in managing the largest sales accounts, by papering amendments, fulfilling production, rights and editorial requests; the candidate will also support Books Director as needed on other accounts related to existing business.
• SALES AND NEW BUSINESS GROWTH: Target new business opportunities; Bring in a range of new accounts and manage the accounts to meet financial targets agreed and set at the beginning of the fiscal year by SVP and Books Sales Director: Ongoing Customer relationship building with key accounts; Demonstrate awareness of competitors in the market place for the whole market, carrying out regular competitor research; consistently analyze and monitor customer's performance against target; Meet individual quarterly sales targets and KPI'sPercentage of Time: 50%
• SUPPORT OF SALES DIRECTOR: Assists Sales Director in providing regular information on all book products to existing and new licensees and NGP staff including product launches, rights costs, production schedules and marketing updates.Percentage of Time: 20%
• CONTRACT/TERM SHEET DEVELOPMENT: Document deals in the ILA database through the creation of a project sheet/deal memo after identifying key publishing information. Working with legal and finance departments to ensure contracts are created and signed and all deals are invoiced and paid. Ensure product samples and PDFs are readily available to licensees and potential publishers including on Dropbox, Box, etc. Ship samples to licensees as needed. Notify licensees when local language samples are due. Maintain archive of local language samples Percentage of Time: 10%
• EDITORIAL REVIEW: Review and approve licensee products prior to going to press. Liaise with Local Language publishers, editors, and marketing teams via phone, face to face, or via email to establish their needs for NG content. Identify intelligent and affordable ways that LLE partners can locate and use NG content to create derivative products to meet their market needs. Look for ways to duplicate product ideas effectively in other local markets. Percentage of time: 10%
• PRODUCTION COORDINATION: Manages release of production files to licensees. Works with production department and digital lab to resolve production file issues related to fonts, images, etc. Insures the safe receipt of production materials to licensees, either through shipping of files or posting of files via Box, Faspex, Dropbox, etc.Percentage of time: 10%
• Bachelors degree.
• At least 5 years of experience working in international media business environment is required.
• Familiarity with IP management, foreign rights, contracts management, or production coordination is preferred.
• Prior sales and business experience with foreign publishers and agents is required.
• Ability to travel 10%.
• Experience with Excel, Word, Filemaker Pro and Power Point.
• European. Asia, and Latin American market experience/knowledge desirable.
National Geographic Partners LLC (NGP), a joint venture between National Geographic and 21st Century Fox, is committed to bringing the world premium science, adventure and exploration content across an unrivaled portfolio of media assets. NGP combines the global National Geographic television channels (National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo MUNDO, Nat Geo PEOPLE) with National Geographic's media and consumer-oriented assets, including National Geographic magazines; National Geographic studios; related digital and social media platforms; books; maps; children's media; and ancillary activities that include travel, global experiences and events, archival sales, licensing and e-commerce businesses. Furthering knowledge and understanding of our world has been the core purpose of National Geographic for 129 years, and now we are committed to going deeper, pushing boundaries, going further for our consumers … and reaching over 730 million people around the world in 172 countries and 43 languages every month as we do it.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.