Associate Editor - National Geographic Books
National Geographic ChannelWashington, DC
This was removed by the employer on 3/8/2017 12:04:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Search for Associate Editor - National Geographic Books jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Associate Editor - National Geographic Books postings
Full Time Job
The Associate Editor will be responsible for project managing 3-5 books from acquisition to publication, as well as up to ten newsstand special edition ''bookazines'' per year. Best in class candidates will be conscientious self-starters who are avid readers, able to manage multiple deadlines and projects, and possess strong writing/editing skills.
• Directs the editorial production of multiple books each year.
• Evaluates book proposals.
• Develops book ideas and identifies writers and creative teams to execute ideas.
• Helps author, designers, photo editors, researchers to stay on schedule.
• Creates positioning materials and P&Ls for acquisition of new projects.
• Creates marketing materials for sales force and focus group testing.
• Has strong marketing instincts.
• Administrative: keeps author and team files for individual books, creates schedules, team contracts, and requests payments.
• Bachelor's Degree is required.
• At least 4 years of editorial experience.
• Working knowledge of InCopy, InDesign is a plus.
• Strong editorial and marketing instincts
• Ability to envision the end product and shape a manuscript to realize its potential
• Possess editorial vision necessary to create a wide range of illustrated books and narrative books, including: working with a wide range of authors, guiding manuscript development, directing multiple team members, keeping book schedules on time and on budget.
National Geographic Partners LLC, a joint venture between National Geographic Society and 21st Century Fox, combines National Geographic television channels with National Geographic's media and consumer-oriented assets, including National Geographic magazines; National Geographic Studios; related digital and social media platforms; books; maps; children's media; and ancillary activities that include travel, location-based entertainment, archival sales, catalog, licensing and e-commerce businesses. A portion of the proceeds from National Geographic Partners LLC will be used to fund science, exploration, conservation and education through significant ongoing contributions to the work of the National Geographic Society.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.