Supervising Senior Editor, Visual Platforms
This was removed by the employer on 2/21/2017 7:44:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Crew Category
Browse the Direct to Web Category
Search for Supervising Senior Editor, Visual Platforms jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Supervising Senior Editor, Visual Platforms postings
Full Time Job
NPR has an exciting opportunity for a leader to explore the frontiers of visual journalism.
We’re looking for someone to help us move beyond multimedia thinking -- to translate the heart and soul of NPR’s storytelling in the digital space, and to cultivate new audiences with web-native experiences. Our Visuals unit includes a diverse mix of expertise, from still photography and video specialists, to data nerds and web developers. Our team can make anything. In a short time, NPR has developed a rich and innovative history in visual journalism, but there’s lots of work still to be done in defining our visual identity across mediums.
It’s an exciting place to be and we need someone eager to embrace the opportunity and the challenges with equal enthusiasm.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
• Pioneer: Push the boundaries of the way we deliver stories in the digital space; foster innovation and build audience; appreciate what works and change what doesn’t.
• Diplomat: Harness NPR’s existing visual talent; build relationships with our news, music, design and product teams to strategize areas of coverage with the greatest potential visual impact; facilitate visual training efforts at independent member stations; think creatively and collaboratively.
• Director of visual storytelling: Sets direction for NPR's use and presentation of all types of visual, web-native storytelling including but not limited to photography, video, illustration and data visualization.
• Teacher: Keep the team relevant, deliberate and forward-thinking in the industry; evangelize the team’s mission within the organization, industry and beyond. Teachable experience in building beautiful things is a huge plus.
• Administrator: Have experience building and managing teams, coordinating inter-departmental projects, coordinating field work, and managing budgets, contracts and freelance assignments.
Essential Duties Include:
• Oversees the creation of compelling, interactive experiences designed and edited to work across an expanding range of digital screens and devices
• Sets editorial vision and standards for project work and daily visual journalism
• Partners with leaders around the building to identify areas of coverage with the greatest potential visual impact; sets priorities for visual storytelling on a daily basis and identifies visual projects.
• Guides and trains independent member stations as they expand their own multimedia efforts
• Represents NPR multimedia in public and industry forums; occasionally works with the promotion and public information departments as needed
• Partners with newsroom leaders and Development staff members on funding proposals and deliver presentations to potential underwriters as needed
• Directs staffing needs including hiring, managing work schedules, aligning resources, approving overtime and time-off requests
• Develops staff via performance management, including goal setting, annual appraisals, daily coaching and performance discussions
• Maintains working knowledge of NPR policies and provisions of applicable collective bargaining agreement. Work with appropriate departments to address personnel issues
• Establishes workflow within and across departments and creates communications and safety protocols for editorial fieldwork
• Oversees Visual operations and budget, including equipment, travel expenditures and engagements with independent contractors
Education: Bachelor’s degree in graphic arts, journalism, or other similar related field (or the equivalent combination of education and experience)
• At least 5 years’ experience leading multimedia production at a major news organization or creative online organization
• 10 years demonstrated creative excellence in multimedia production, including: photography, video shooting, and/or editing
• Proven success managing efficiently under deadline pressure, including experience managing and assigning staff on breaking news. Expertise in daily coverage of national news or general news
• Adept at communicating effectively across all levels of leadership while inspiring confidence
• Demonstrated ability to focus collaborative efforts on the achievement of agreed outcomes within finite timeframes and budgets
• Proven positive approach to embracing change
• Well-developed interpersonal skills. Must possess ability to get along with and manage diverse personalities and individuals
• Experience maintaining high journalistic ethics and standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Experience with intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular
• Previous teaching or training experience
• Previous daily news experience
• Previous experience in Digital Media
• Knowledge of audio production
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
Apply online and be sure to include your cover letter with links to work you’re proud of and want us to know about.
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process. If you’re checking out technical or digital roles, here are some additional things you should consider about what you’ll experience at NPR.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.