Senior Editor, Code Switch
Full Time Job
As Senior Editor for NPR’s Code Switch team, you are responsible for assigning and editing radio stories and leading one of the country’s best podcasts. This job calls for someone who can think conceptually and guide short- and long-term storytelling from idea to execution. You’ll need solid experience in audio storytelling with the skills that help deepen and enrich the work of colleagues. You’ll work in close daily consultation with the team’s leader, the senior supervising producer/editor, to determine the best platform for every idea.
The goal is memorable stories and podcasts, and that comes from well-focused ideas, excellent writing and fluid storytelling threads that run through a piece, a podcast or across a coherent body of work. The job demands strong collaborative skills and the ability to work with a team of journalists in the high-intensity setting of daily journalism. The editor’s responsibility is to lead with an eye toward innovation and attention to NPR’s high standards of accuracy and ethical journalism.
Essential Duties Include:
• Lead the editorial process for audio stories and podcasts, working in concert with the senior supervising producer/editor to craft coverage plans and nurture story ideas
• Coach and develop story and podcast ideas for daily, weekly, and longer-term projects
• Work in cooperation with other editors on desks and shows to plan and execute coverage that originates with the Code Switch team
• Coordinate with the visuals unit and other newsroom departments to support audio and digital storytelling
• Work with the newsroom and programming leadership to monitor and understand analytics
• Determine need for rights clearances and permissions for acquired material
• Assist the senior supervising producer/editor where needed in editing the Code Switch blog and monitoring email and social media engagement
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• A minimum of 5 years in audio storytelling and/or editing
• A minimum of 1 years in editorial leadership and decision-making
• Demonstrated experience responding to breaking news stories.
• Familiarity with audio editing software and a variety of computer systems
• Ability to work smoothly across diverse racial/ethnic cultures
• Wide-ranging familiarity with current issues involving race, ethnicity and culture in the U.S.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and executing editorial plans beyond daily stories
• Fluency across social media platforms
• Previous experience in digital writing and/or editing
• Previous experience in analytics and digital audience engagement
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keep up with us on Social Media on Twitter at @NPRjobs, YouTube at NPR Life - as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets from our colleagues.