Reporter/Correspondent, Planet Money
NPRNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Planet Money is a small, tight-knit team producing one of the best and most popular podcasts around. We need a smart, funny, interesting person to tell smart, funny, interesting stories. Some of those stories will be about money. Some won’t. You would get to do it all. Report. Write. Travel. Co-host. Edit. Follow your curiosity about the world and explain what you find to millions of people. This position is based in the greatest city on Earth: New York.
Essential Duties Include:
• Tell a great story
• Help colleagues tell great stories
• Find the best details
• Nail the big idea
• Think critically
• Deliver a punch-line
• Paint a character in 10 words
• Sound memorable
• Take the listener with you
• Ask killer questions
• Show your personality
• Never be dull
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required for Reporter:
• At least 4 years’ reporting experience.
• Experience in long-form, narrative journalism.
• Experience working on deadline and working independently.
• An analytical mind.
• Excellent writing chops.
• Audio skills a plus.
• Expertise covering economics also a plus.
Required for Correspondent:
• At least 10 years’ experience as a reporter.
• Expertise in long-form, narrative journalism.
• At least three years’ reporting experience covering national news stories.
• Significant knowledge and experience covering economics, including a proven ability to translate complicated concepts for the audience.
• Excellent writing and audio skills.
Additional Requirements for Reporter and for Correspondent:
• Ability to break news and aggressively set a coverage agenda.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.