Project Manager / Scrum Master
Full Time Job
We are looking for an experienced, talented, and knowledgeable project manager/scrum master who will provide day-to-day leadership of cross-functional teams that connect NPR with its digital audiences. We seek a person who feels comfortable in a servant-leader role for one or more teams, is passionate about Agile methodologies, and approaches their responsibilities with both a firm understanding of traditional structures and optimistic adaptability in applying the right tools and methods for the needs of a particular team.
The best candidates share these traits with our team:
• Creativity, initiative, curiosity, and flexibility -- tempered by pragmatism, patience, and acute
attention to detail
• Love of (bordering on obsession with) Agile methodologies and culture
• Strong leadership and analytical skills. You are the information hub for work our teams are doing, and if you don’t have the answer yourself, you know how to get it. You can successfully operate at the micro and the macro level: a mashup of Switzerland neutrality and the sailor in the crow’s nest looking out for obstacles and opportunities for individuals, teams, and the division.
• Honesty, a friendly attitude, and a good sense of humor
Essential duties include:
As the project manager/scrum master, you are responsible for facilitating planning, daily progress, work reviews, and retrospectives; assisting product owners in translating project vision and business objectives into a backlog; facilitating backlog grooming; tracking the team’s progress against prioritized work; removing impediments for the team; and identifying risks to the team and management. You ensure productivity by fostering team creativity, empowerment, and accountability, and you assist with work and resource prioritization, as well as the continuous improvement of Digital Media processes. In addition, the project manager/scrum master advances the role of Agile practices across NPR by leading/participating in training and by coaching teams, including some outside of Digital Media.
• experience managing cross-functional digital projects in a Scrum framework
• Scrum Master certification
• Ability to communicate at all levels of the organization (including senior management) on issues of strategy, risk, process, and ongoing operations
• Capable of handling multiple deadlines and projects
• BS/BA degree
Bonus points for:
• Strong knowledge of and hands-on experience with other Agile project management methodologies and tools, especially Lean Startup, Lean, or Kanban
• Business acumen combined with a tech background
• Atlassian tools (Jira, Confluence), Google Drive, Slack
• We’re an Agile shop grounded in Scrum Lean, and we believe that investment in the right methods/tools attention to people/culture is the best way to deliver great work as happily and efficiently as possible. We constantly try to improve how we do what we do.
• We are located in DC’s NoMa district in a new, LEED Gold Certified building. We are 5 minutes to the metro and within 15 minutes of a great range of restaurants, retail, and culture (Union Station, H Street Corridor, and Union Market).
• We are diverse, lifelong learners. We read omnivorously from NPR’s giveaway book shelf (getting hints from the NPR Books Tumblr ), and regularly attend Tiny Desk Concerts.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.