Producer - Planet Money
NPRNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Planet Money is a tight-knit, highly collaborative team producing one of the best and most popular podcasts around. We tell audio and web stories that explain complicated topics -- in fun, creative ways. We’re expanding and trying some new things.
We’re looking for a Producer who can do it all: book big name and no name guests alike, mix a podcast fast, pitch smart angles nobody else has thought of and hone in on the best fact hiding in an NBER working paper, or flashing by in a tweet from the St. Louis Fed. Do you naturally enjoy thinking and talking about economics and business? Do you have ambitious ideas for stories and need somewhere to try them? If you’re answering ‘yes’, to any of these questions, then this job is for you.
• Find and produce original story ideas on a tight deadline.
• Suggest and book guests for Hosts/Reporters to interview.
• Prepare questions and approaches to interviews, maybe do them yourself.
• Report stories for publication on podcast, web and broadcast.
• Mix podcast episodes using digital audio editing software.
• Write web and social media posts.
• Reply to listener questions and social media comments.
• Think strategically about audience development and execute the strategy down to the smallest detail.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least 4 years of production experience.
• Audio editing experience in Pro Tools or equivalent program.
• Demonstrated experience in finding and interviewing sources and, ideally booking guests for a podcast, radio or TV show or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Video editing experience.
• Academic background in economics, or work experience in finance, economic policy, or other field we cover at Planet Money.
• Reporting experience.
Shows us your creativity and give us a sense of your tastes and the type of stories you want to cover.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.