NPR Training Manager
This was removed by the employer on 2/9/2017 1:44:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Radio Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for NPR Training Manager jobs in Washington-DC
Search all NPR Training Manager postings
Full Time Job
The NPR Training team is a newsroom unit that advances high-quality journalism and storytelling at NPR and Member stations. The team creates training opportunities on everything from audio storytelling and production, to social media and web writing. This training takes many different forms: in-person workshops, webinars, visits to Member stations, conferences, events, a popular public website and more.
NPR is seeking a Manager to lead this dynamic team. This is a high-profile position that plays a critical role in NPR’s efforts to tell high-quality stories, reach new audiences and collaborate with Member stations. The selected candidate will guide a tight-knit, multi-disciplinary team where the manager works collaboratively with the group. The Manager also serves as the connecting point between the team and stakeholders in the Newsroom, Programming, other NPR departments and stations. Above all, the Manager is charged with developing NPR Training’s craft-focused vision and mission of elevating the quality of public media storytelling across the system.
Essential Duties Include:
• Guides the NPR Training team through large-scale, complex projects
• Builds systems for NPR and station journalists to effectively learn
• Evangelizes the innovative work of the team, internally and publicly
• Oversees the promotion and growth of NPR Training’s digital platforms, such as training.npr.org, a weekly newsletter, social media accounts and webinars
• Partners with leaders of desks, shows and other NPR divisions to integrate training resources into their staff development
• Provides feedback on presentations and training programs
• Ensures team projects are on track and designed to meet the needs of public media journalists
• Pursues alternative funding channels to help offset training costs, including event or conference opportunities related to training and professional development
• Runs training sessions and facilitates brainstorming sessions
• Collaborates with newsroom partners and clears obstacles so that the team can successfully implement ideas
• Ensures the training team operates with the highest editorial standards and pursues projects in creative, audience-centric ways
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Education, Instructional Design or equivalent related work experience.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional training and/or journalism experience
• Previous experience managing an editorial team
• A proven leader with the ability to organize people around ideas and projects
• Experience managing the design, implementation and delivery of training materials
• A deep understanding of journalism and its current challenges
• Obsessed with high-quality public media storytelling
• A strategic and innovative thinker with fresh ideas about how to tackle big issues
• A team player who thrives in a collaborative and innovative environment
• A confident public speaker with the ability to design compelling presentations and hold the attention of an audience
• A passion for audio and making people better storytellers – this person gets jazzed about leading a listening session or workshop and talking about craft
• A creative thinker who understands the importance of fun in teaching
• Solid organizational and project management skills
• An interest in working on projects, both short-term and long-term, at a pace more varied than the production of a news show or story
• Interested in the changing media industry – and being a part of that evolution
• This job may require occasional travel.
• Previous experience in training, teaching and/or professional development within public radio
• Previous background in forming partnerships
• Knowledge of how to engage an audience on multiple platforms
• Experience creating digital strategy and social media campaigns
• Some exposure to design thinking or other methods of guiding innovation
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.