Morning Edition Editor
Full Time Job
The Morning Edition Editor develops timely, original program content for Morning Edition, NPR’s flagship morning program, as well Up First, NPR's new morning news podcast. The Editor initiates, researches and executes major show-based projects, working closely with show hosts¸ supervisory team, editorial and production staff. The Editor leads bookings, prepares and edits material for daily and future broadcasts.
• Functions as a decision-maker on shape, look and sound of program.
• Initiates, plans and produces program material for that day’s show/podcast and for future shows/podcasts, with minimal editorial supervision.
• Consistently generates timely and well thought-out story/interview ideas.
• Edits tape and related continuity, with minimal editorial supervision.
• Writes news and program copy, including drafts of hosts’ leads and other production copy.
• Rotates through a variety of shifts, as assigned (including, but not limited to, Overnight Line Producer/Editor, Update Producer/Editor, Podcast Producer/Editor and Lead Swing Producer/Editor).
• Works in the field with reporters and hosts as assigned (including projects requiring self-directed research, planning and solid editorial judgment.)
• Coordinates activities of hosts, reporters, and production personnel assigned to remote projects.
• Maintains working knowledge of all the latest sound-gathering and filing technologies in use at NPR.
• Maintains internal relationship with program staff, Digital Media staff, reporters/editors contributing to daily program and morning news podcast, as well as departments providing support services.
• Maintains external relationships with commentators, member station personnel providing material for morning news, news sources, journalists from other media freelancers and experts.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least four years of experience in live news broadcasting
• At least four years experience in editorial decision making with demonstrated ability to exercise solid, independent news judgment.
• At least four years of audio production experience including experience on broadcast digital audio workstations (ie MTE/DAVID, Dalet, Cool Edit, ProTools or similar)
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as assigned.
• Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
• Demonstrated ability to help coordinate daily news coverage quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes, with changing priorities/conditions.
• Familiarity with a range of subject areas such as world news, business, science, and arts.
• Demonstrated excellence in news writing and copy-editing, especially on deadline.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Demonstrated field production and planning experience.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Expertise in producing shows and podcasts
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system
• Experience with digital and multimedia production.
• Demonstrated understanding of, and familiarity with, social media platforms
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.