Manager, Streaming Media
This was removed by the employer on 1/30/2017 5:44:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Radio Category
Search for Manager, Streaming Media jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Manager, Streaming Media postings
Full Time Job
We’re looking for the right person to begin to help re-define the delivery of audio and video for NPR. This position has ownership of the strategic direction, daily operation and management of the team responsible for the delivery of audio and video for NPR’s mobile apps, website and other platforms. NPR features some of the most popular podcasts in the nation, on-demand audio/video, and live-streams of news and information. The right person for the job will live and breathe the latest codecs, encoding software and streaming best practices to various digital platforms. NPR Music’s growing footprint at live events and on-demand streams demands a candidate with the skills to support a large portfolio, while also playing a key role in helping define future products. Candidate will bring extensive and detailed knowledge of audio/video encoding and streaming. As key point-of-contact for production requests, this position serves as liaison to other groups within technology unit as well as digital news, music and library. Managerial responsibilities of media production team including staff oversight, mentoring and career development.
Essential Duties Include:
• Supervise a staff of media specialists, setting goals and schedules, and monitoring achievement of both.
• Live and on-demand streaming media system design, architecture and problem solving to ensure growing audio and video needs of NPR are met.
• Act as the key point of contact for all live streaming of audio and video on NPR digital platforms for breaking news, special programming and other events. Manage resources to provide recording, editing and encoding of live media for publishing to NPR digital platforms.
• Manage the process of producing encoded audio segments from radio programming and original digital content.
• Set standards to maximize the quality, accuracy and timeliness of encoded audio and video files and supervise the application of appropriate encoding settings to ensure an optimum user-experience across all digital platforms.
• Manage the process of archiving digital audio and video files for long-term storage and re-use in a production environment.
• Act as key point-of-contact for production requests of the team. Serve as liaison to other groups within technology unit as well as digital news, music and library staff.
• Act as key technical contact for 3rd party services related to the encoding and streaming of audio and video content.
• Supervise the Tier 1 Support process for responding to technical issues related to audio and video on NPR.org and mobile platforms.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: BA Degree or equivalent experience in Audio, Video, Broadcast Journalism, or a related area.
• 4 years experience editing audio and video in a 24/7 news, sports or entertainment environment.
• Experience with encoding and streaming audio and video
• 2 years experience working directly with CDNs to implement media delivery services.
• Excellent communication skills, adept at interpersonal, organizational, and external communication and communication strategies.
• Expertise in designing architectures for live and on-demand streaming.
• Demonstrated ability and experience with digital audio editing software: Sony Sound Forge, DAVID, or equivalent.
• Demonstrated ability and experience with digital video editing software: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, or equivalent.
• Experience with enterprise level encoding software and multi-format audio and video codecs.
• Four years experience with various computer operating systems, including Windows and Mac OS.
• Working Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, FTP, Web and Streaming servers.
• Ability to effectively work as a member of a team of diverse individuals working under tight deadline pressure.
• Flexibility to work non-standard business hours.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keep up with us on Social Media on: Facebook at This Is NPR, Twitter at @NPRjobs, YouTube at NPR Life - as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets from our colleagues.