Intern - National Desk West
NPRCulver City, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
This internship will support the National Desk.
Please note: This internship is located in Culver City, CA (NPR West office). The typical workday is Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
You should apply for the NPR West National Desk Internship if you want nothing more than to be a public radio reporter.
This is an internship for folks with some prior journalism experience – as a reporter or editor at their college newspaper, magazine, website, or (best of all) radio station; as reporter, producer, or host at a local public/community radio station; as a freelance reporter in print, online, or broadcast media.
Activities, tasks, and goals of the NPR West National Desk Intern include, but are not limited to
• Assisting NPR staff reporters, editors, producers, hosts, and freelancers in the creation of news programming.
• Learning NPR News’s radio journalism ethical standards and practices.
• Developing radio reporting and producing skills that will prepare her or him for careers at NPR member stations and at NPR itself.
This is not a position in which to explore a vague interest in communications, advertising, or public relations. This is an internship for someone who wants to devote her or his life to excellent public radio journalism. It’s also an internship that’s quite a lot of fun. NPR West is a great place to work because of excellent colleagues, state-of the-art technical facilities, and perfect Southern Californian weather. Previous NPR West National Desk Interns have gone on to be reporters at member stations across the U.S., file stories for NPR’s news magazines, and work as staff producers and editors at NPR itself.
• Schedules interviews
• Logs tape
• Conducts story research for reporters and editors
• Sorts mail and answers phones
• Participates in staff meetings and projects as required
Candidates should be interested in news and current events.
• Strong research skills
• Computer literacy
• Knowledge of NPR programming
In addition to the regular application items, candidates must upload/attach a writing sample.
Please do not apply for more than 3 internships.