Digital Media Production Engineer
Full Time Job
NPR seeks a Production Engineer to join our Digital Media Production team. This position will work with internal and external stakeholders to create, edit, and produce high quality audio and video content for digital distribution. Our ideal candidate is a proactive, courteous, customer service focused who is passionate and curious about technology and believes in the mission of NPR.
Essential Duties Include:
• Create individual segments from NPR broadcast program audio for digital distribution using Sony Sound Forge or an equivalent audio editing software.
• Edit and produce NPR and acquired video content for digital distribution using Adobe Premiere, or an equivalent video editing software.
• Record and edit additional audio and video content as needed for extended web coverage and digital distribution. The source can be any physical or digital audio format - Reel-to-Reel, CD, Digital Audio Tape (DAT), wav, mp2, etc.
• Edit audio and/or video for multimedia/interactive projects including; podcasts, slideshows, maps, etc.
• Encode audio and video into multiple file formats for digital distribution using enterprise level encoding software.
• Deliver encoded audio and video content to NPR digital archive servers and 3rd party content delivery network(s).
• Facilitate the streaming and recording of audio on npr.org, member station sites and 3rd party content partners for live breaking news coverage, concerts and other events.
• Monitor and maintain the quality of all streaming media content on npr.org. Insure the streaming media content matches the descriptions in the NPR CMS and there are no errors or artifacts in the media files.
• Monitor and maintain NPR digital audio and video archives and transference of the files.
• Verify alignment of Web rundown data with NPR program library data and work with NPR Research, Archives, and Data Strategy team to correct and/or clarify errors and discrepancies. Distribute NPR sanitized rundown to all necessary parties.
• Troubleshoot issues related to digital media encoding, streaming and media file distribution systems.
• During production hours, act as tier one support for technical issues related to the NPR website and all internal systems and tools related to the production and publishing of the public site. This includes the ability to troubleshoot networking and application server issues. Also, must be able to identify issues outside of Tier One support and escalate to the appropriate Tier.
• Other duties as assigned.
BA Degree or equivalent experience in audio and/or video production for digital distribution.
Necessary knowledge, skills, abilities:
• Experience editing digital audio and video content using software such as Sony Sound Forge, Adobe Premier and other NLE audio/video applications.
• Demonstrated knowledge of audio and video codecs for digital distribution.
• Demonstrated knowledge of streaming media servers and technology: Flash Media Encoder/Server, HLS, HDS, MPEG-DASH.
• Extreme attention to detail—all media files and formats must be checked for content and quality.
• Ability to quickly adapt to new software and technologies.
• Ability to effectively work as a member of a team of diverse individuals working under tight deadline pressure.
• Flexibility to work non standard business hours.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.