Deputy National Editor, East
This was removed by the employer on 12/6/2016 1:44:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Radio Category
Search for Deputy National Editor, East jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Deputy National Editor, East postings
Full Time Job
The Deputy National Editor, Eastern Region is based out of our NPR Washington, DC Headquarter and has editorial responsibility for coverage of Eastern states and partnership for leading coverage of National trends and breaking news. She/he supervises assignments and provides editorial guidance to staff, freelancers and production staff. This includes preparation of on-air material as well as content for digital and social platforms. This editor oversees the editorial integrity and quality of content, monitoring and evaluating staff performance; recommending new hires and providing editorial and administrative support to the Supervising Senior National Editor.
The Deputy National Editor has responsibility, with the National Editor and Deputy West, for the overall conception and vision of NPR’s coverage of the United States on all platforms. Under the direction of the National Editor, and in collaboration with other key news leaders, s/he leads decision-making on key coverage, grappling with the most important issues in the nation.
The Deputy National Editor, Eastern Region is charged with building and maintaining relationships with NPR member stations to continue efforts to meld member stations and NPR collaboration to create one true network.
Essential Duties Include:
• Manages editorial planning and coordination of coverage by providing editorial guidance to staff, stations, freelance reporters and production staff.
• Works with internal staff and stakeholders to determine proper approach to stories, subjects to be discussed and treated, and individuals to be interviewed as well as planning editorial projects and groups of stories thematically.
• Builds and maintains relationships with NPR member stations to increase NPR’s focus on continuous collaboration.
• Supervises preparation of air and online material and is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of that material
• Monitors programming and provides critiques
• Prepares performance reviews of staff members under his or her supervision
• Makes hiring recommendations for staff under his or her supervision, in consultation with the Supervising Senior National Editor and others as designated
• Recommends salary levels of staff under his or her supervision, in consultation with the Senior National Editor
• Conducts outreach, answers correspondence, represents the unit in public forums, organizes internships, maintains station relations, and works with the promotion and public information departments
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least 10 years’ experience as a news reporter or editor, including demonstrated experience covering national news, including investigative stories, feature reports
• A minimum of 5 years’ management experience, with proven successes managing a diverse team of employees
• Strong familiarity with National affairs, including, but not limited to: Eastern issues, urban affairs, national security and lifestyle topics.
• Strong knowledge of digital and social required
• Interest in regional politics and issues.
• Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
• Previous broadcast news experience
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.