Deputy Managing Editor
This was removed by the employer on 3/24/2017 3:45:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Radio Category
Search for Deputy Managing Editor jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Deputy Managing Editor postings
Full Time Job
Drives the daily news agenda for all NPR News products, across delivery systems. Builds collaboration and coordination across platforms on daily news coverage to develop a fully integrated newsroom. Evaluates and communicates to desks, shows, digital and Newscast all news development during the course of the day in order to ensure timely and effective coverage and decision-making for assignments. Leads editorial meetings as necessary, edits copy and stories as necessary and oversees special coverage and breaking news coverage as necessary.
Essential Duties Include:
• Partners with other news leaders across NPR’s desks, shows and digital operations to direct the daily editorial process to determine coverage and assignments.
• Develops and fosters an open dialogue about coverage and challenges and encourages staff to think beyond the confines of a narrow job description
• Evaluates breaking news stories and works with news managers across all platforms to determine news priorities for NPR
• Oversees logistics of daily coverage across all platforms to ensure coordination of subjects and editorial content
• Recommends which events should be covered live and distributed to member stations
• Leads editorial meetings as necessary
• Ensures that work produced by NPR News complies with NPR and professional standards for balance, fairness and accuracy
• Manages the assignment of resources, people and dollars, as part of daily news coverage but also as warranted by fast moving breaking news events
• Develop staff via performance management including: goal setting, annual appraisals, regular coaching and performance discussions
• Oversees News Desk staff, including round-the-clock editors and reporter/bloggers, focused on multi-platform reporting and filing
• Partners with Standards & Practices/Ethics director and handles items out of hours
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts, including weekends
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
• 6-8 years experience managing in news or programming organizations (in a union environment is a plus).
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others
Critical Competencies for Success:
• Positive approach to embracing change
• Well-developed interpersonal skills, ability to get along with diverse personalities
• Results oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations
• Adept at communicating effectively across all levels of leadership while inspiring confidence
• Ability to respect input but ultimately be confident enough to take decisive action and take responsibility for said action
• Experience managing resources in an integrated newsroom
• Experience working in/closely with digital operations.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system
• Ability and willingness to relocate
• Demonstrated experience in leading ambitious and distinctive coverage
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.