Broadcast Recording Technician
Full Time Job
NPR is seeking a customer-service-focused and mission-driven Broadcast/Recording Technician to help build its technical support team. This position will work directly with program clients remotely, via phone, at the desktop, and within production facilities/studios, in order to facilitate resolution of audio technical requests. NPR is a deadline driven 24/7/365 broadcast environment and requires a high level of dedication to keep its staff and journalists productive. Candidate will be responsible for taking ownership of client issues and following them through to resolution. Duties will include analyzing, isolating, troubleshooting and resolving all audio engineering support issues; answering end users’ queries; categorizing & logging all incoming calls & resolutions; and other broadcast/production support activities.
Essential Duties Include:
• Assist, and resolve client audio production requests by phone, and work location, or in audio production facilities.
• Take ownership of customer issues and follow through to resolution.
• Categorize and log all incoming calls and resolutions.
• Respond to critical issues on a 24x7x365 basis as required.
• Expand knowledge of and skills in current and emerging audio broadcast equipment, systems and workflow.
• Operating and supporting clients with audio routing systems and assisting with remote audio delivery technology.
• Operating broadcast studios in high pressure, extreme deadline environment.
• Maintaining NPR’s audio quality standards for both clients, and for NPR member stations
• Other duties as assigned
• Two years college required. Four year degree in related field or equivalent experience preferred.
• At least five years hands-on technical production, broadcasting, or recording studio experience.
• Proven track record of supporting demanding client base with broadcast/audio production technology
• Significant troubleshooting in audio broadcast technologies.
• Demonstrated and proven skills under extreme deadline pressure in broadcast environment.
• Demonstrated experience providing high level of professional, courteous, and consistent interactions with clients.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and operate digital consoles in extremely high pressured on-air broadcast studio environment.
• Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts as required. This includes weekends, overnights, and holidays
• Ability and willingness to work overtime as required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of audio, recording and radio production theory and practice.
• Must be able to work independently or with a team.
• Must be able to multi-task and prioritize.
• Hearing and listening skills must insure that NPR’s Audio Quality standards are maintained.
• This is a union position.
• Experience with digital audio editing and content management systems
• Experience in operations and programming of complex broadcast audio routing equipment and software.
• Familiarity with the operations of broadcast automation systems
• Knowledge of best practices for troubleshooting of audio codecs and far end audio technologies.
• Knowledge and understanding of complex audio signal flow related to broadcast and production operations.
• Public Radio experience a plus
Please apply online through our career site at http://www.npr.org/about/careers/.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer