Assistant Producer, Podcasts
Full Time Job
The Assistant Producer, Podcasts will assist in producing program material for NPR’s distributed podcast programs . The successful candidate will be a creative, collaborative producer who can successfully generate content based on big ideas rather than breaking news. We’re looking for a strong thinker who can translate big ideas into richly-layered audio soundscapes, engaging interview segments, and thematically unified podcast episodes. We’re seeking someone who is imaginative and experienced with generating multi-track sonic sequences and long-form interview feature segments.
The Assistant Producer, Podcasts will assist the host, producers and other contributors to the program by generating story and interview ideas; conducting research and assisting in arranging interviews; and writing news and program copy, as well as production material. Content for digital media is an integral part of NPR's product, and employee will be expected to contribute audio and digital material.
We are anticipating several new Assistant Producer positions to open in the coming months. When submitting your application, please indicate the NPR podcasts that you would like to work on in your cover letter. You can find more information about NPR’s podcasts including a podcast directory here.
Essential Duties Include:
• Edits audio.
• Edits host interviews and actualities.
• Edits podcast episodes
• Prepares scripts and other materials as required.
• Assists in producing program material for podcast host, producers, and others in studios and on location.
• Builds complete segments of program by editing, scripting and linking two or more related pieces, music and other elements.
• Collaborates on building complete episodes of program by editing, scripting, and thematically linking full program segments.
• Generates montages and other creative audio soundscapes based on program elements.
• Works with host, producers, and others in arranging for related elements to complete or supplement a piece.
• Plans remote production and goes on location with producers and hosts and prepares material for air.
• Generates segment and interview ideas.
• Reviews podcast material and pitches ideas for interviews and pieces.
• Conducts research and assists in arranging interviews.
• Pre-interviews guests and prepares research material for hosts.
• Writes program copy.
• Drafts copy for host interviews and features.
• Writes open and return copy.
• Bargaining unit employees may be given assignments on different platforms, such as multimedia production, including producing Web text, interactive material and multimedia content.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• At least 1.5 years’ experience in broadcasting.
• At least 1.5 years’ experience in news journalism.
• Ability to edit audio.
• At least 1.5 years’ journalism-related research, with ability to collect, organize and disseminate information.
• Thorough knowledge of research tools, including computer access data banks.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience in radio broadcasting.
• Experience with producing multi-track sonic sequences and editing long-form interview feature segments.
• Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a news gathering technique.
• Familiarity with blogging and Web 2.0 functionalities.
• Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.