Method StudiosLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Method Studios is currently searching for a Systems Engineer to join its Technology team. The primary focus of this position is in systems architecture and infrastructure engineering. The candidate will require expertise in systems administration and architecture along with foundational programming ability. Candidate will work to implement and improve Method's existing in-house infrastructure, as well as integrate and maintain various third-party systems and products. Candidates will contribute to the design of future architecture in addition to evaluating and integrating third-party solutions for hardware, software, and workflow for maintenance of operations across a multi-site world-class visual effects facility. Candidates with a Visual Effects background or understanding highly preferred.
Responsibilities and Duties
Perform in the following technical areas:
• Systems installation, configuration and operation
• Core network service (LDAP, DNS, Firewall, etc.) installation and administration
• Hardware integration and deployment
• Software installation
• Configuration management (Puppet)
• Incident response and management
• Setup and installation of Linux and open-source extension packages
• Develop internal systems tools and utilities for operating, monitoring, and reporting on studio infrastructure availability and utilization.
• Develop and maintain high-level digital security standards required in a post-production environment.
• Develop and maintain written operational procedures for routine network management processes.
• Administer servers and network services: LDAP, NIS, AD, DNS, DHCP, NFS
• Administer network switches, network storage and associated tape backup system, Virtual Server Infrastructure, Databases, User accounts, Email technologies, Firewall, Internet and Digital Security, User support and troubleshooting
• Analyze and tune systems for performance, throughput, resource utilization, high availability, and scalability
• Evaluate system components, software, networking infrastructure and hardware peripherals for reliability, performance, scalability and security
• Research in order to maintain a working knowledge of relevant hardware and software applications, including emerging technologies
• Evaluate business requirements and make recommendations on systems design and hardware purchases to fulfill business needs.
• Render Farms
• Knowledge of Qube Render Managing tools and Pipeline
• Artist Work Stations (difference between a modeler, compositor, animator, editor)
• Some Flame background if possible
• Linux pipeline, be familiar with Ubuntu, CentOS,
• Very Familiar with networking and switches, routing topologies
• Understand storage solutions tier1, nearline, backup systems
• Be able to manage themselves and to some degree junior engineers
• Be able to communicate verbally and in writing, document what they do
• Be fast and productive
• Provide solutions based on budgets and deadlines