Head of Studio
Method StudiosVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Head of Studio/MD for Vancouver will provide hands-on management of the day-to-day operations for the Vancouver studio to promote the sustainability of the organization through planning, organizing and overseeing all production and operations activities related to the overall production of best in class visual effects for feature films.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities:
• Oversees the day to day operations of the BC studio including facility operations, production management, and artist management.
• Develops and executes strategic and tactical operations plans for BC as a member of the executive management team.
• Promotes a positive and productive work environment with an emphasis on strong collaborative interaction across the BC studio and between all studio locations.
• Holds a responsibility for the studio production overhead budget as well as direct report tasking, in support of the studio's strategic and operational goals, with an emphasis on fostering a pro-active, friendly, confident, and passionate team environment to achieve the highest quality of work.
• Partners with Technology, Faciltiies, Production, HR, Recruiting and Talent Management leadership to develop and implement the structure, tools and processes required to effectively support the BC studio. Ensures that effective processes are in place so that growth is achievable with minimal disruption to day-to-day activities, while maintaining the financial stability of the business.
• Participates in the features bidding process and strategizes on the financial and staffing approaches, as well as the distribution of work for all BC features to meet annual revenue goals.
• In conjunction with the artist management team, ensures that the BC resources are available to the features bidding team to accurately estimate work load and resources required to create accurate production budgets and schedules.
• Determines local BC production, artist and digital resource capacity, overseeing the forecast for the BC studio. Ensures appropriate utilization levels are maintained and anticipates potential challenges with staffing and resource availability across projects. Partners with leadership to ensure appropriate utilization levels across all locations are maintained and all staffing and resource availability is balanced across projects and studios.
• Oversees and mentors the BC production leadership who are responsible the planning, throughput and delivery of projects. Manages BC VFX producers through show management, including client interactions where required, internal and client correspondence, finance management and staffing strategies.
• Works closely with VFX Production, Artist Management and Recruiting to appropriately structure and staff production and artist teams to partner with the creative and technical supervision for each project.
• Responsible for the career development, performance evaluation, performance management, mentoring and implementation of succession planning for all direct reports.
• Acts as escalation point for production, supervisors, and management to help resolve conflict.
• Partners with Production Finance to guide production teams to work within approved budgets, developing and implementing cost saving measures to improve margins. Determines priorities and operational tasks with the support of corporate management team within studio and show approved budgets.
• Oversees the outsource production planning and execution processes and tool setup for the BC production teams with external vendors.
• Partners with leadership to ensure management processes, production management tools, and digital resource management tools are consistent across projects and studios.
• Leads troubleshooting efforts with studio management, show leadership and corporate management teams to identify solutions to potential issues that may have an impact on production schedules, budgets or our studioï¿1Ž2s ability to deliver the highest quality work.
• Ensures information flow throughout the BC studio, as well as between BC and other studio locations to provide all employees with current studio business related information.
• Anticipates studio issues, identifies problem areas and implements corrective action to ensure that productions and departments stay on track to achieve financial and delivery targets.
• Acts as executive representative for Vancouver studio for community events, with the support of the internal PR department.
Oversees the BC production teams responsible for leading the local mid-show and end of show production post mortems for all projects.