Vice President, Social Impact
MTVNew York, NY
Full Time Job
MTV’s public affairs team is charged with using the network’s superpowers for good. The group head is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of multi-platform social change initiatives that empower America’s youth to have an impact on the biggest challenges facing their generation. MTV Public Affairs works closely with every department across the network – including programming, digital/social, MTV News, marketing & promos, sales, press, MTV2 and mtvU – setting the strategy and launching pro-social initiatives that connect with young people everywhere they are.
Our existing campaigns include Emmy-winning “It’s Your (Sex) Life,” with the Kaiser Family Foundation, which has reached over 200 million young people on sexual health issues; Webby-winning “A Thin Line,” which has inspired more than 1.5 million young people to combat digital abuse and cyberbullying; “Power of 12,” which helped unleash the exponential power of young voters in the 2012 elections; Peabody-winning ''Half of Us,'' which addresses mental health and suicide prevention on college campuses; Act.MTV.com; and many more.
• Work closely with the President of the network and his senior team to lead the strategic direction of all MTV pro-social efforts. This includes identifying “weak signals” in youth culture and developing new campaigns to address emerging issues, overseeing an array of ongoing campaigns, working with the programming team to develop new shows and integrate pro-social resources into existing MTV shows, responding opportunistically to cultural trends and much more.
• Directly manage a team of six and collaborate with dozens of execs across the channel to deliver a steady stream of pioneering pro-social ideas (including PSA campaigns, digital executions, on-air stunts, moments in awards shows, etc.) - driving demonstrable impact and fortifying MTV's position as the cultural home of the Millennial generation.
• Cultivate and manage partnerships with a network of 50 best-in-class non-profits, foundations, government agencies and corporate partners.
• Serve as an effective ambassador for the department/network, representing MTV and advancing its thought leadership profile at high-profile industry events, in the press and elsewhere.
• Stay abreast of emerging trends in digital culture and develop innovative new ways to maximize the reach of MTV's pro-social efforts across the social web.
• 10 years of relevant professional experience, with documented success in the arenas of social innovation, strategic partnerships and new media.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited university.
• Proven leader who inspires teams to deliver pioneering and unexpected approaches to entrenched social challenges
• A strategic and visionary thinker with a track record of achieving measurable social impact
• Dialed in to world affairs, pop/youth culture, digital innovation and emerging cultural trends; passionate and curious about a wide range of social issues
• Mission-driven and deeply committed to positive change, but pragmatic and able to think like a savvy marketer or PR pro
• Adept at navigating a large corporate structure
• Effective and persuasive communicator
• Sterling interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• Excellence in organizational management, including goal setting, budgeting, developing and retaining great talent, etc.