Glendale ArtsGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
The Event Manager reports to the Director of Marketing & Events (Director of Theatre Operations while house managing) and is responsible for overseeing the life cycle of events and performances that are assigned to her or him upon confirmation on the calendar at the Alex Theatre, a historic 1,400-seat performing arts and entertainment center located in Glendale, CA. The Event Manager hired for this position will handle the venue's film screenings, corporate meetings and events, film and television shoots, and a variety of media and entertainment industry events.
The position includes serving as the on-site House Manager on the day or night of each event and in some cases, load-in/tech/rehearsal days. Accordingly, this involves occasional evening or weekend hours in addition to daytime office hours.
Additionally, the Event Manager will be responsible for coordinating marketing and social media functions and campaigns in support of all events taking place at the Theatre, promoting the Theatre itself, and various organization-wide programs and activities.
The role entails working in a collaborative team setting and interfacing with the organization's clients, patrons, vendors and service providers, colleagues in the community, supporters, and donors.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Glendale Arts Administrative Office
- Works with the Director of Marketing & Events to ensure that client contracts, deposits, insurance coverage, and all event-related documents and materials are sent, received, processed, filed, and entered into the Glendale Arts database in a timely manner.
- Prepares event settlements, coordinates payment, and mailings and/or pick-up of settlement checks.
- Works with clients to ensure that artwork, posters, and marquee forms/requests are received and processed.
- Corresponds or meets with clients prior to events to advance front-of-house needs and requirements.
- Responds to and resolves client and patron complaints involving tickets, seating, concessions, and other related issues.
Alex Theatre House Manager
- Provides direction to front-of-house staff and patrons in the event of an emergency.
- Immediately reports any malfunctions or safety issues that may exist in the theatre auditorium or lobby areas to the Director of Theatre Operations.
- Ensures that clients and patrons follow theatre event and safety policies and that all fire codes are strictly enforced.
- Delegates duties to the front-of-house staff to ensure proper staffing coverage before, during, and after events.
- Ensures that the front-of-house staff provides quality customer service.
- Ensures that all patrons sit in their assigned seats if appropriate, and that all doors are closed prior to house lights dimming and the start of a performance.
- Ensures that only food and drinks that are allowed are brought into the theatre auditorium.
- Releases the house to the Technical Director when the front-of-house is cleared of patrons and the house is ready to begin a performance.
- Ensures that the front-of-house staff holds latecomers for an appropriate moment in a performance to be seated.
- Arranges accommodations for patrons or groups with special needs and ensures compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations.
- Coordinates with the Facilities/Maintenance Supervisor to ensure proper staffing of porters, event set-ups, and temperature control.
- Prepares complete and accurate house reports following each event containing event set-up information, staffing schedules, first aid and incident reports, door counts, and merchandise and concessions sales and forwards the reports to the Glendale Arts administration office and inputs the report information in the database system.
- Implements social media plan as directed by Director of Marketing & Events, on platforms that include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Coordinates activity related to promotion of Alex Theatre events and a variety of Glendale Arts events and programs through graphic design, street teams, and online outlets.
- Prepares monthly and custom enewsletters using Constant Contact.
- Updates content on Alex Theatre website using Wordpress.
- Updates the Alex Theatre app.
- Updates and maintains assorted media lists.
- Coordinates press release writing and distribution.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or educational institution preferably in theater arts or a related discipline, or may substitute work experience for education.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of event management and crowd control techniques.
- Ability to prioritize daily task list and to problem solve and to handle various projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Experience with preparing and managing department budgets and meeting operational goals.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Professional demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Strong written communication and proofreading skills, including the ability to write reports, correspondence, agreements, and other documents.
- A team player who is able to work well with others in sometimes stressful environments.
- The ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Computer proficiency required, including familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Filemaker database software, and Constant Contact, in addition to social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Working knowledge of Wordpress, Photoshop, and InDesign preferred, but not required.
- Fluency in a second language is preferred, but not required (Armenian and/or Spanish is particularly desirable).
- Possession of a valid California motor vehicle operator's license and proof of automobile insurance coverage.
- Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
Salary Range: $25,000 to $35,000 per year
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Event Manager is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will regularly use the telephone, computer, and two-way radio handset or headset. The employee will occasionally use a cash register.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Event Manager is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but is occasionally loud.
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will allow resumes sent in the body of the email OR as an attachment. Apply Online