Office Manager, Editorial Operations
National Geographic PartnersWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Office Manager ensures that Editorial staff have access to the resources necessary in order to perform their daily tasks as efficiently and effectively as possible, and will provide editorial & office operations support to assigned Editorial groups.
• Operations Support: Manage operations of the 4th floor, including the public meeting rooms and areas, as well as inventory of office supplies for approximately 230 employees across multiple supply rooms. Ensure that general supplies are on hand and organized, ordering specific items as necessary. Manage a purchasing account to fulfill exceptional requests as needed, reconciling transactions on a regular and ongoing basis for maximum transparency of all purchasing activities. Create purchasing guidelines for NGM office supplies and equipment, and ensure that staff requests comply with guidelines
• New Hires, Contractors, Interns: Manage preparations for new hires. Prior to start date, confirm workspace assignment, acquire necessary phone and computer hardware, obtain appropriate network access and software privileges. Manage the non-staff registry for Editorial contractors, including but not limited to photographers, writers, illustrators, editors and other NG Talent, and acquire remote network access as needed. Work closely with HR and IS/IT to ensure that new hire setup is complete and correct, and that contractor badges and employee badges are processed correctly and renewed as appropriate. Manage timekeeping for non-exempt employees by providing training in proper submission of time records, and enforcing NGM/Digital policy regarding time submission and overtime.
• Editorial Support: Distribute proofs and layouts to staff, distribute pdfs of articles in all stages to freelancers, forward mediagrid photos to freelance researchers, coordinate the distribution of annotations, manage the distribution of comp copies, and manage monthly issue review of the Magazine. Assist in maintaining records in the editorial database. Maintain above-average competency in the use of Pub View (the editorial portal), and assist or direct other staff members in the use of these tools.
• Scheduling: Ability to schedule meetings and staff at the group, department, and NGM level. Including arranging for a room, ordering catering for meetings.
• At least 2 years administrative or operations experience, or experience providing office support in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skulls
• Familiarity with basic accounting and finance.
• Proficiency in MS Office suite and Outlook required, some experience using filesharing/storage software (dropbox, Box Sync) as well as collaborative chat programs (Slack, HipChat)
• A desire to assist in streamlining of workflow process in a restructured magazine, ability to succeed in a fast-paced and demanding media environment, maintaining perspective and projecting a sense of calm and control. Individual should be willing to learn and able to anticipate needs of various workgroups that will be supported.
National Geographic Partners LLC (NGP), a joint venture between National Geographic and 21st Century Fox, is committed to bringing the world premium science, adventure and exploration content across an unrivaled portfolio of media assets. NGP combines the global National Geographic television channels (National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo MUNDO, Nat Geo PEOPLE) with National Geographic's media and consumer-oriented assets, including National Geographic magazines; National Geographic studios; related digital and social media platforms; books; maps; children's media; and ancillary activities that include travel, global experiences and events, archival sales, licensing and e-commerce businesses. Furthering knowledge and understanding of our world has been the core purpose of National Geographic for 129 years, and now we are committed to going deeper, pushing boundaries, going further for our consumers … and reaching over 730 million people around the world in 172 countries and 43 languages every month as we do it.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.