VP, Business And Legal Affairs
EpixNew York, NY
Full Time Job
This position is the lead lawyer of EPIX’s business and legal affairs team. The role involves the management and oversight of the day-to-day legal needs of the company and providing advice to senior management on a variety of projects, deals and initiatives. The position will report to the Chief Legal Officer of MGM and EPIX’s EVP of Programming, Strategy & Enterprises.
• Negotiate and draft a wide range of deals including the licensing and acquisition of films, documentaries and comedy and music specials, working closely and in conjunction with EPIX Programming executives.
• Handle traditional and digital distribution deals (including cable, satellite, telco, vMVPD and “over the top” services).
• Negotiate and draft agreements with developers, vendors and device owners/ platforms with respect to app and web development, working closely and in conjunction with EPIX Digital executives.
• Interface with the MGM legal team on a variety of matters, including intellectual property and trademark clearances, employment law matters, and litigation.
• Manage outside counsel with respect to litigation and specialized matters.
• Manage rights across all acquired and developed programming, and all distribution platforms.
• Provide counsel to the marketing and creative services departments on various intellectual property and marketing matters including copyright, trademark, as well as studio and marketing approvals.
• Review and manage clearance of EPIX marketing materials.
• Providing advice to senior management on a variety of projects, deals and initiatives.
• Must have a minimum of 10 years or equivalent previous experience as a lawyer in an entertainment law firm or business/legal affairs position at a major studio, network or entertainment company with specific experience in television.
• Strong experience and deep knowledge of pay-television business and general entertainment industry required.
• Ideal candidate is autonomous, self-starter and a leader.
• Entrepreneurial team-player, able to understand business priorities.
• Excellent negotiating and drafting skills.
• Clear and effective communication skills and excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to respond quickly and effectively to client concerns, questions and issue.
• J.D. degree, admitted in New York or California.