Transmission Specialist Ii
Full Time Job
The Transmission Specialist II is a public representative of the Transmission Department and of ESPN and directly responsible for the signal distribution of our family of networks; including ESPN, ESPN 2, SEC, ESPNews, EU and Deportes as well our complement of international networks originating out of Bristol, Ct.
This position includes the operation of our world class teleport, including key RF components such as routers, modulators and receivers. Responsibilities include the acquisition of content over satellite, fiber, IP and cellular transport technologies. This position will also manage highly complex, addressable Arris satellite distribution systems for domestic and international ESPN networks. This role is also responsible for all ''Conditional Access'' workflow with oversight of network manipulation such as blackouts, market protects and regionalization.
Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role. Work must be carried out with a minimum of supervision. Our job requires the ability to work in a 24x7 environment including nights, weekends and holidays.
• Responsible for the high-quality distribution, switching, and quality control monitoring of all full-time and occasional ESPN networks regardless of the format (linear television, IP, fiber, etc.).
• Act as ''first line'' technical liaison to Affiliates, ESPN clients, 3rd party providers, and remote customers to troubleshoot signal issues.
• Manage affiliate access based on contractual obligations. Ensures accuracy of blackout & regionalization information and accurate transmission of all feeds
• Setup, test, and monitor all contribution signals whether they are for any of ESPN's networks throughout the globe or for highlight purposes.
• Signal processing to prepare Video, Audio, and Data content for use in ESPN production facilities including, video level and color adjustment, audio shuffling and level adjustment, lip-sync and video timing.
• Monitoring and Tier 1 support of ESPNet, ESPN's private DTM fiber network with demarcation points worldwide. Provisioning bandwidth and routing services.
• Support Transmissions ''Next Gen'' Technologies & Workflow such as ASIS, REMI, Bonded Cellular, IP and video over the dirty internet such as Skype and Glowpoint as part of our Newsgathering operations.
• Ability to adjust to live programming changes.
• Regularly interact with and provide excellent customer service to departments throughout ESPN and external customers.
• Keeps departmental management informed of equipment failures and operational concerns.
• Responsible for providing follow-up and concise reporting of issues and resolutions of the operation in a timely manner.
• Embraces new technologies.
• 3 years of experience in transmission, technical television broadcast or related field
• Excellent written and oral communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment
• Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including nights, weekends and holidays
• Understands MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 digital compression systems
• Has knowledge of RF related test equipment
• Understands scrambling and descrambling systems used for front-haul/back-haul transmission applications
• Understands ''Conditional Access'' workflow with experience in network manipulation such as blackouts, market protects and regionalization
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Bachelor's Degree, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) or comparable experience in communications, electronics, satellite/antenna or RF theory, compression distribution systems, fiber / optical technology, IP & Networking certifications or broadcast television related experience.
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.