Part Time Job
The Research Associate position is part of the Research Department of the Stats & Information Group. The Researcher will use broad and deep knowledge of the MLB , NBA, college basketball or other major sports to create original content and ensure the accuracy of information on ESPN game broadcasts. Responsibilities will include using SIG tools and resources to research original content, write event notes, produce graphic ideas and talking points for game-broadcast teams. The content also will be used by other areas of ESPN.
The Researcher Associate is responsible for strong teamwork, providing feedback to peers and management, being solution-oriented and generating ideas related to the future of the department.
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
• Expert-level knowledge of the specified sport, including current events and business trends
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• The ability to effectively work remotely and remain immediately accessible during working hours
• Resourcefulness in reacting to unexpected challenges
• Demonstrated excellence working with multiple departments to achieve a common goal
• Meticulous attention to detail in striving for 100 percent accuracy
• Strong news/content judgment
• The ability to focus on detailed work for an extended period of time
• Aptitude for working with technology
• The ability to perform at an elite level in a demanding production group that serves television and digital media around the clock every day of the year
• In-depth knowledge of ESPN's Digital Media coverage of specific sports and games
• Researches original content and writes event notes for use on game broadcasts.
• Utilizes specific knowledge of MLB, NBA or college basketball to ensure that all content is factually and statistically accurate.
• Develops original graphics that provide statistical or factual analysis of events, news stories and topical issues.
• Supports relevant storylines through the use of basic and advanced statistics and metrics, including ESPN's proprietary metrics.
• Develops expertise in using SIG Tools to produce unique content.
• Enters key notes into SIG's editor tools to make them available throughout the company.
• Night, weekend and holiday work will be required.
• Take a proactive role in working with colleagues in developing processes for accurate content.
• Be an active participant in team and department meetings.
• Seek and respond to feedback around personal performance.
• Stay informed of current department policies and procedures.
• Strong writing and grammar skills. Must have demonstrated ability to research, write and edit copy for TV, Digital or print publication, or comparable experience.
• Deep and broad knowledge of MLB, NBA or college basketball. Must have excellent recall of current and historical statistics, news, events and milestones.
• Must be able to communicate information accurately.
• Must be able to adhere to strict deadlines and react to breaking news.
• Must have knowledge of how the use of advanced metrics affects the way fans assess performance across MLB, NBA and college basketball.
• The ideal candidate will have at least 1 year of experience working with statistics, covering sports, or analyzing sports events, news and issues.
• Fluency in reading, speaking and writing Spanish preferred.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.