Full Time Job
This Publicist position will proactively promote a variety of ESPN properties, talent and executives across a broad spectrum of internal and external platforms. Regular duties will include writing press releases, blog posts, proactively pitching media and coming up with creative angles. Strong oral and written communication skills will create a positive narrative for select areas. ESPN is a dynamic 24/7 business and on occasion this position is expected to be available nights and weekends.
• Support Vice President, Communications and team in all press activities related to a diverse set of priorities including all aspects of ESPN Audio, select ESPN television studio shows, operations and more.
• Help create, develop and execute publicity strategies for the above areas to help drive their respective business goals.
• Embrace new tools and approaches to serve as a 360 communicator, serving both internal and external audiences. Generate story ideas and multimedia assets to creatively engage a variety of audiences online. This includes creating regular new material for ESPN's internal employee website, ITK, and ESPN Front Row, the company's outward-facing corporate blog.
• Maintain relationships with key media members in various beats, including television, business, sports, trades, and non-traditional media (Blogs, twitter, Instagram, YouTube and influencers).
• Interact with executives in assigned departments to keep abreast of program strategies and plans, and to deal with communications issues that arise.
• Maximize social media/online tools to more effectively communicate messaging.
• Understand the demands of working for a 24/7 media company and be willing and available to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
• Daily duties to likely include creating and updating sports communications tools including press kits, bios, press releases and images.
• Develop internal and external messaging on key issues.
• Advise company spokespersons regarding their communication on key issues to media and others.
• When appropriate, act as company liaison and spokesperson with media.
• Monitor industry news in print, online and on social media platforms and advise appropriate executives of important developments.
• Maintain and improve executive visibility by identifying speaking and industry recognition opportunities.
• Build strong internal relationships to collaboratively work across teams and departments.
• Develop press materials, including press kits, press releases, fact sheets, bios, press events, etc.
• Maintain press lists and create results reports related to specific initiatives.
• 2 years experience in television communications, public relations or media relations working with and pitching reporters beyond sports, securing story placement, managing and reporting follow-up and coordinating events.
• Exceptional, proven writing skills an absolute must
• Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
• Must understand the ESPN brand as well as competitive brands in both traditional and emerging sectors, especially TV, online, wireless
• Strong knowledge of PR field including experience in media relations, campaign development, issue management and execution of creative, strategic and well-thought communications plans
• Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing environment
• Proactive self-starter who works well within a team, strong interpersonal skills
• Broad spectrum PR agency experience desired
• Passion for and basic knowledge of television business, including but not limited to ratings, advertising, marketing, emerging technologies, (ie digital services, HDTV, VOD, authentication), web and digital entertainment.
• Familiarity with video editing and/or digital design; expertise/familiarity with social media channels.
• General knowledge of inter-department relationships and business issues
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or other relevant areas;
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
**Relocation assistance is not provided for this role**
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.