General Editor, Social
Full Time Job
ESPN General Social Editors oversee the daily creation and curation of content for the ESPN-branded social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. They work directly with writers, partners, and producers to assign and edit content in a fast-paced daily environment. They write headlines and evaluate stories and videos for accuracy, fairness and social/viral potential. Editors must be able to develop unique and compelling content that will thrive in mobile/social environments and demonstrate a willingness to collaborate across brands, platforms, and organizations. They must have or develop an awareness of the operations of multiple ESPN units, as well as an assortment of content types (text, video, audio, photo) in order to collaborate successfully in identifying and/or developing up-to-the-minute content.
• Create and curate content for multiple social media platforms, including internal and external discovery and prioritization, packaging of content, and scheduling and posting to specific accounts.
• Help create and maintain content plans for specific sports, topics and/or priorities
• Track production schedules and assets, ensuring that established deadlines are met.
• Ensure that writing style is consistent with editorial policies; edit and enhance copy.
• Engage internal content partners to ensure the best creation, sharing and distribution of viral content
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends, technology and best practices for short-form content, especially on social media
• Play an integral role in developing culture within the greater Social organization by participating in content planning, execution, and innovation.
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends and best practices for visual storytelling
• Edit multiple content objects on a daily basis. These will include copy and line editing roles, managing an overall style and voice, and working with subject matter experts for specific content types.
• Work across multiple content and delivery platforms to help mine and seed social media of/with viral content.
• Sports take place on nights, weekends and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
• Minimum 3 years working in a media environment, creating and managing content, and publishing to live streams.
• Strong base of current sports knowledge, including teams, players and storylines
• Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
• Excellent headline writing skills, an understanding of optimal tactics for content distribution.
• Ability to create and tell stories in a fast-paced, highly competitive environment.
• Work quickly and juggle multiple varied tasks during a typical work day.
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience working with a variety of digital content management systems
• Understand and follow closely the latest in social media trends
• Bachelor's Degree in communication arts, journalism or new media or equivalent combination of education experience.
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.